DIY progress report - Page 54 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2004, 05:23 PM   #531
fcel is offline fcel  United States
diyAudio Member

Love that show - American Choppers. Fred probably too.
Old 14th February 2004, 05:34 PM   #532
diyAudio Member

My, my, my...
I've long been a believer in the idea that things run in cycles, be it economics, fashions in clothing, or trends in socio-political thinking. As such, it's hardly surprising that the tide here at DIY should turn. But that it should turn so quickly did catch me a bit off guard.
A quickie history of my version of the Aleph-X, for those who can't find it in the Aleph-X thread (it ain't easy, I know). The general concept first occurred to me back several years ago when Petter's X-100 thread was current. Why that thread never achieved the momentum that the Aleph-X thread did is beyond me. It looked to me as though Petter was making good progress. In any event, I was sitting there looking at Petter's proposed circuit and Nelson's patents and the idea sprang into mind that the "X" concept and the Aleph concept were not mutually exclusive. I had at least two variations in mind at the time (hint, hint...) and mentioned such in a post. As I recall, the proposal was not received kindly. Such is life. Clearly, the cycle turned later. And will turn yet again in the future, mark my words. The day will come when people say,"Aleph-X? What's that?" And the thread will be lost in obscurity.
Incidentally, I had, in that same thread, made a stand for Nelson's intellectual property rights, and subsequently e-mailed him directly about it. His reply was pretty much the same then that it is now. I personally interpret his words as meaning that he views DIY efforts as publicity for his commercial product. Two other possibilities are: 1) That he is curious to see if someone can find a variation that he missed. 2) That he might, just possibly, believe in the concept of "pay-forward." Caveat: His actual feelings on the matter may or may not match my understanding.
The circuit that I later labelled the Aleph-X lay low for a while, but I finally sat down and worked out one of the variations in my mind one slow evening at work. A few weeks later I drew up a formal schematic and sent it off to Nelson. He usually responds in a day or two, but this time a reply burned back across the wires in an hour or two.
The content? Not to release the circuit yet, because it was in some ways similar to one he was about to offer at the winter CES. After that, go ahead. And, as I said in the Aleph-X thread, he noted that I might have trouble with absolute DC offset (he later suggested using 30 ohm grounding resistors--I hadn't dared to go below 1k and had dropped the idea). At that point, I viewed the circuit as purely conceptual; I had not built a prototype. No one could have been any more astounded than I was that the concept circuit was in any way similar to viable commercial product.
A few weeks later, Nelson--not me--mentioned here that I had such a circuit and things began to build momentum. I still had yet to build a prototype. But with DIY members "clamoring" for a circuit, I started fiddling. Then, as now, time was in short supply, and I had to limit my fiddlings to an hour or two in the wee hours of the morning before going to bed.
I finally started the thread, after checking with Nelson as to whether the timing suited him. Fred, as usual, said the circuit wouldn't work. (The day he doesn't say that is the day one of my circuits will actually fail--kinda like telling an actor to "break a leg" as they head for the stage. Thanks Fred. Incidentally, he was calling himself Harry Haller then for those of you who've lost track of his personae.)
As to my crossover thread--either of them, for that matter--my intent, as I thought I made clear, wasn't to reverse-engineer Nelson's commercial product, though I do, as a practical matter, like the idea of using jumpers to set the frequencies, Q, and such. It's nothing but a Sallen-Key filter. No patents involved. Why Fred's got his panties in such a knot over that one, I can't imagine, especially as he was so intent on reverse-engineering Nelson's use of resistances. Sometimes Fred puzzles me. Clearly it's an emotional issue with him, not a logical one.
The name Xenover was suggested by the intentional simplicity of the circuit. And, no, it's not an "X" circuit per se. I doubt that anyone is going to be fooled by the difference between "Zen" and "Xeno," but just in case, I'll issue a disclaimer: It ain't Nelson's circuit. It ain't intended to be Nelson's circuit. So there.
As to the level of complexity--or lack or it--of Nelson's recent published projects, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that there are DIY folks out there who aren't members of this site. They're out in rural West Virginia, downtown Seattle, and possibly right next door to you. They think they're all alone. Every new project Nelson publishes is another step in their education. Things that members here take for granted, such as X feedback, are new and foreign to them, and they need help taking that step. Have mercy on them.
Besides, methinks I see a pattern to Nelson's papers, whether it's conscious or not. I'm content to let things run their course.

Grey

P.S.: I feel a bit uneasy about the idea that the First Watt commercial Aleph-X carries the same name as my project version. I specifically chose the name Aleph-X so as to distance my circuit from Nelson's XA nomenclature. Then along came the First Watt product with the same name. Perhaps it's one of those cyclical things.
Old 14th February 2004, 07:11 PM   #533
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
P.S.: I feel a bit uneasy about the idea that the First Watt commercial Aleph-X carries the same name as my project version.
I would feel alright. There are so few that care about this issue.
...and thanks for the refresher history course, I didn't needed it but it seems the usual few did.
Old 14th February 2004, 08:23 PM   #534
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Boy, I do love this thread!!

Sure wish I had more to contribute than a few trite observations now and then.

Anthony
Old 14th February 2004, 10:30 PM   #535
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Your attacks on Grey are pathetic and self serving

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass

life is way short, so I do what I want while I still can.
May I engrave thay on my Aleph, when its finished?

But seriously, this freedom of information is very much appreciated. Thank you very much, Mr Pass.

Now If there would also be launched a First (mili)Watt pre, it might just fit in my budget too buy of the shelf to complement the Aleph..
Old 14th February 2004, 11:30 PM   #536
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
P.S.: I feel a bit uneasy about the idea that the First Watt commercial Aleph-X carries the same name as my project version. I specifically chose the name Aleph-X so as to distance my circuit from Nelson's XA nomenclature. Then along came the First Watt product with the same name. Perhaps it's one of those cyclical things.
I realize that you wouldn't have any way of knowing it, but the
Aleph X name has been kicking around internally for maybe 6
years. Like you, I used it to distance First Watt from the XA
series, not thinking about your project. I certainly don't have a
problem, as the two amplifiers are bound to be similar anyway,
and if some DIYer accidentally buys a FW amp thinking he's
getting a kit, I'll give him a refund.

refund: not in accord with Ferengi Rules of Acquisition
Old 14th February 2004, 11:36 PM   #537
The one and only

Not to steer this thread back to its topic or anything, but I
am pleased to announce that ZV6 is all finished, and Mr.
Harrington will begin the job of posting it on Monday.
Old 14th February 2004, 11:52 PM   #538
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Uncontrolled impatience....

Clapping and cheering.....looking much forward to see the ZV6

Cheers

Magura
Old 15th February 2004, 01:40 AM   #539
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Doesn't Pass Labs celebrate president's day?
Old 15th February 2004, 05:30 AM   #540
Bob03 is offline Bob03  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
Some of those pieces, like the A40 and the Citation 12,
would have to be redone.
When?

Hide this!Advertise here!