Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2004, 12:35 AM   #521
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Grataku and Variac,

It may be so that Mr.Pass helped Grey develop the Aleph-X, but have you asked yourself if Grey had the moral right to post it, after all it was Mr.Pass's design ( and intellectual property ) to begin with and is a current product,
unlike the Aleph. We all got got caught up in fervor of the moment but in hindsight it might not have been such a good thing and should have waited for Mr.Pass to publish it.

It is a privilage that Mr.Pass shares so much with us but please don't assume, for one moment, it is a right.

Regards,
Jam
Old 14th February 2004, 01:00 AM   #522
The one and only

I seem to recall email between Grey and myself in which I
encouraged him to forge ahead and gave him a couple of
hints. If I had a problem here, I would say so.

In the meantime we are selling more amplifiers than ever.
If DIY efforts are hurting my business, I don't see it.
Old 14th February 2004, 01:07 AM   #523
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Im quite sure that the DIY people are not the same people as the potential clients of Pass Labs.

Very few people actually get something out of DIY thats even close to the Pass Labs products, quality and designvise, and those who does have spent so many hours and so much money that its no competition anyway.

Magura
Old 14th February 2004, 01:29 AM   #524
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Hey gang we are still on that ugly path, let us who is with out sin PASS the first stone. Ooww that was a bad pun, but I have heard bladder.

Anthony
Old 14th February 2004, 02:39 AM   #525
diyAudio Retiree

Default Your attacks on Grey are pathetic and self serving

Total B.S. Starting a thread to reverse engineer someone's commercial design is not doing the original designer any favors. Doing it twice and without the knowledge to even to reverse engineer it, and even posting circuits that don't work well or even at all is no favor to the forum. One would question the motivation for such actions other than the notoriety from riding on Mr. Pass's coattails and having little to contribute from actual work done. I don't think posting circuits that you haven't even built and gotten some feel for reliability and stability is a very could idea, unless you don't know how they work and are fishing for help. A low power X type Aleph is a commercially viable product one that it appears Mr. Pass is worth marketing. What the thread on this has done is to give commercial knock offs a real big head start. Mr. Pass is probably to much of a gentleman to point this out...... I am not. I find it very odd that few designs based loosely on Nelson topologies are posted but great interest is shown for reverse engineering designs to be based very much on the results of years of his hard work. It is too easy to underestimate the time involved in a design by just copying the work that has already been done. As for self serving......... ask yourself who is really being served by this. It sure isn't Nelson in my view.
Old 14th February 2004, 03:14 AM   #526
diyAudio Member

"At the same time, I have always assumed that one of the
motivations of the typical DIYer is the joy of discovering things
for one's self, and toward that end, I think it's more fun to
scatter bread crumbs along the path than to install a trolley line.".

Absolutely, its the journey and the discoveries along the way that make it such a joy.

Not to mention the thoughtful email responses to so many by Nelson Pass that make learning such an exciting experience.

There is far more to be gained by following and constructing the Passdiy tutorials than jumping into the cloning of the commercial designs.

At the moment I am bread boarding the Passdiy opamps and following the article step by step, its so clear and concise.

I've even got a few parts from K... to play around with...what more could one ask for.

Ian
Old 14th February 2004, 04:23 AM   #527
The one and only

Default Re: Your attacks on Grey are pathetic and self serving

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann
What the thread on this has done is to give commercial knock offs a real big head start. Mr. Pass is probably to much of a gentleman to point this out...... ask yourself who is really being served by this. It sure isn't Nelson in my view.
Again, I appreciate your viewpoint and sentiments, Fred, and
I value your opinion. That said, my actual experience is that
I suffered more rip-offs in my own market before I gained the
public exposure to the DIY crowd. In a way, perhaps freedom of
information has created its own security. (Sounds like internet
BS, doesn't it?)

I don't really know, but I've already made enough money, and
life is way short, so I do what I want while I still can.
Old 14th February 2004, 09:06 AM   #528
diyAudio Member

Just like to say that if it wasn't for N.Pass and Zen article I'd never build an amplifier myself...

I've never heard an amplifier with such worm and intimate sound, and the greatest thing is that I actualy build it myself completely understanding the circuit, and even been able to play with it.

Since then I could even understand more compex circuits, and was very happy reading the AlephX thread actualy understanding what you guys were talking about.

Would that qualify as a value of simple circuits?!?

Thanks Nelson!

boris
Old 14th February 2004, 02:01 PM   #529
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

It's nice to see that there is some blood flowing in this website again. Can you respect someone while at the same time have a disagreement? I believe you can.

It is also nice to see that Nelson has still not changed his philosophy about sharing his designs.
NOT so nice to see that there is still alot of resentment from the "engineering dept." that it was Nelson and not them to come up with the su-sy idea.
Old 14th February 2004, 04:24 PM   #530
www.audiohobby.com
diyAudio Member

Fred: Are you really the guy from American Choppers?

Hide this!Advertise here!