Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2004, 05:06 AM   #501
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura
Hmm...and where do we find Stefano's latest X-SOZ ??

Magura

You can enter the
Aleph+constant CS XZEN thread and see my job , or go to the schematic zip .

Old 13th February 2004, 05:10 AM   #502
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by grataku
That's right folks, the SOZ and it's X variations are no longer anything to write home to mama about, so don't expect too much more than a SOZ with a couple of feedback resistors...
Hey ... I wouldn't be so sure ...
Old 13th February 2004, 03:56 PM   #503
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Well guys call me an heretic but I was a bit disappointed by the last couple of Zen versions and the schpiel about the fact that the Zens are just concepts amps. So what's the point, I say?

In about 10 more Zen versions we'll have something that resembles the commercial XA. In the mean time I'll be listening to the real deal for which, by the way, you can thank GRollins...
Old 13th February 2004, 08:40 PM   #504
The one and only

I suppose that one of the problems associated with freely
discussing future projects is that several of you want to jump
ahead to the ending. Well, that's OK, but if you're already there,
I don't see why should should complain if I introduce everybody
else to a slower process of discovery.

I've been fairly generous with the hints on how to get
there, and I think Grey will acknowledge my contribution to
his efforts. Stefano's XSOZ is pretty close to what I have for
a future article, and it's an excellent circuit, but it's not the
last word.

But let's get real: Zens and Alephs and X's are my intellectual
property, developed over 10 years ago. If I have to protect the
reception of my articles by shutting up, then everybody suffers.
Old 13th February 2004, 09:02 PM   #505
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I guess some people should tone down their comments a bit.

There may be a few of the members on this forum whom are way ahead of Nelson Pass (though i personally doubt it), but most of us are well aware of the fact that we are not.

So since NP have given a large number of people a great introduction to audio DIY, Id prefer that those being unhappy with NP's contributions, make a bigger or better contibution themselves.

Magura
Old 13th February 2004, 09:23 PM   #506
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass

I've been fairly generous with the hints on how to get
there
Sure you were; every article, be it the original Zen, the SOZ, ZV4, or any other I read, is a source of knowledge extremely well elaborated and very detailed. One can read it again and again and every time he will discover new things. I would almost say it's the ultimate source of information for everyone interested in building nice amps and learning electronics.
Please, keep them coming.

/Hugo
Old 13th February 2004, 09:50 PM   #507
diyAudio Retiree

Unhappy you can thank GRollins...

"In about 10 more Zen versions we'll have something that resembles the commercial XA. In the mean time I'll be listening to the real deal for which, by the way, you can thank GRollins..."

I'll bet Nelson is thanking him all right....... I'll remind you that the efforts of many others, including Mr. Pass, were involved in getting the circuit fleshed out and addressing issues like common mode offset and stability. Seemingly basic schematics can start a chain of post that go far beyond the origional poster's abilities and intentions. The number of "knock off PCBs" is an example of a "commercial" design being done on the back of Mr. Pass's work. Then we see Mr. Grey expressing interest in Nelson's active crossover. Now others are exploring and sharing the details that could bite into the commercial viability of future Pass Labs active crossover products (and consulting for that matter). Nelson has been more than generous in answering technical questions and writing articles on excellent amp and preamp designs. There is a saying: "Don't kill the goose that lays the golden eggs." I hope everyone realizes that innocent (and not so innocent) attempts to guess what Mr. Pass is doing in his commercial designs tends to have a snow ball effect when dozens of people interact to reverse engineer his commercial products. The possibility for future loss of revenues for Pass Labs is very real. Don't forget that not everybody who reads this forum is an amateur and that not every commercial explotation of Mr. Pass's hard work and decades of research is known about here.

I invite everybody (are you listening Grey?) to think long and hard about Nelson's generosity and be very careful not to contribute to the exploitation of his hard work. There is plenty to ask him that doesn't intrude on his commercial efforts.
Old 13th February 2004, 09:54 PM   #508
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

One can say one million great things about and thank someone a million times but if you only complain once that's all they can remember.

There is no doubt in my or in anyone else's mind (I think) that if we can build what we can build today it is UNIQUELY thank to Mr Pass and his willingness to share. I am most definitely NOT inventing anything.

Having said that, the AX has been out of the bag for about two years now and out of childish selfishness I would have hoped for an original passdiy version earlier, that's all.

Fred,
your point is very well taken, however, I feel that personally I am completely in the clear as far as taking commercial advantage of Nelson creations but I rather feel I conform to Nelson original rationale for sharing stuff and as such I am completely guilt-free.
Old 13th February 2004, 10:00 PM   #509
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: you can thank GRollins...

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred Dieckmann
I invite everybody (are you listening Grey?) to think long and hard about Nelson's generosity and be very careful not to contribute to the exploitation of his hard work.
Quite frankly I don't quite understand why Grey would be at fault (or to be blamed) for anything other than starting the biggest thread on a this forum, the thread that Mr. Pass enjoyed so much that he even funded an award for 200,000th viewer?

I even once tried to intervene and prevent somehow the first Aleph X PCB group buy (800 pcs. or so), but again, the One and Only was not against it. So why bringing it up now? We can always (moderators) prevent people from posting their work that resembles too close the original Pass products, but it seems that this is not intention of Pass Labs, so why posts like this, Fred?
Old 13th February 2004, 10:19 PM   #510
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks so much for walking with the young ones!

I greatly appreciate the efforts taken in the progression of Mr. Pass's articles. Indeed an EE could probably read a couple of pages describing a method and follow it well and work up a reasonable circuit from the words alone. Mr. Pass has a writing style which is both enjoyable for me and informative enough that if I read and re-read, I can get some great pearls of wisdom, even though I am not an electronics person.

I may well never build 5% of the projects he has written about or will hopefully write about in the future. But I enjoy the better understanding of the designs and reveling in the beyond human nature of his process.

I can only hope that commercial infringement never halts the flow of information he provides without direct recourse. I also hope that all who really enjoy what he has given to them have thanked him.

Once I finally finish my first Pass designed project, I surely will. Until then, I simply thank him for opening the joy of learning about amplifiers and in the greater sense audio. Lastly, I would like to thank him for showing that a benevolent attitude is one way of leading a successful life, even in today’s society.

Sandy.

Hide this!Advertise here!