Attachments

• ae1.jpg
    ae1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 712
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
Can anyone point me in the right direction: I can't seem to find the manual of this one on PassLabs.

Well of course most of the photos were at the Crocker Nuclear
Lab, housing the cyclotron that Lawrence was using toward
the end of the Manhattan project. It is still is 24/7 operation
and I understand it can be rented at $400/hour.

:cool:

Nelson Pass said:

Well of course most of the photos were at the Crocker Nuclear
Lab, housing the cyclotron that Lawrence was using toward
the end of the Manhattan project. It is still is 24/7 operation
and I understand it can be rented at $400/hour.

:cool:

That's pretty cheap for Beam time, I am paying around $1000 an hour right now.

Regards

Anthony

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
it can be rented at $400/hour.
I told Kent of a story I heard, that during lunch some grad students hung a piece of aluminum foil in the gap of the magnet and sent a signal through it. Of COURSE the sound was to die for.. I don't know if the actual layout of a cyclotron would allow this...

I figured they would both make good DIY projects

Must be tens of thousands out there :eek:

Cyclotrons run in a vacuum. Assuming that you were to try to listen from within a functioning cyclotron, the sound would truly be 'to die for.' Getting sound to propagate in a vacuum is a problem that will be taken up once cold fusion has been solved.
I have a one-channel-dead Hafler that I have conducted a few Evil Experiments upon. If I ever get enough time, I may do a thread on it, although Nelson's circuit will probably be of greater interest to the average DIY critter; my efforts were more, shall we say, off the wall.
I also have a one-channel-dead Kinergetics 75W/ch Class A amp (beastly transformer...puny power supply caps...what a combo!) that I have...well, never mind. I'm already waaaay overcommited already. Lemme get the Monster Front End and my buddy's tube amp and the tube X preamp for Anthony squared away first.
Actually, if I could just find the confounded schematic I could probably get Anthony fixed up fairly easily. Failing that I'll have to recreate the blasted thing from memory. That's not entirely bad, as I have a minor modification I wanted to try anyway.

Grey

GRollins said:
Cyclotrons run in a vacuum. Assuming that you were to try to listen from within a functioning cyclotron, the sound would truly be 'to die for.' Getting sound to propagate in a vacuum is a problem that will be taken up once cold fusion has been solved.
I have a one-channel-dead Hafler that I have conducted a few Evil Experiments upon. If I ever get enough time, I may do a thread on it, although Nelson's circuit will probably be of greater interest to the average DIY critter; my efforts were more, shall we say, off the wall.
I also have a one-channel-dead Kinergetics 75W/ch Class A amp (beastly transformer...puny power supply caps...what a combo!) that I have...well, never mind. I'm already waaaay overcommited already. Lemme get the Monster Front End and my buddy's tube amp and the tube X preamp for Anthony squared away first.
Actually, if I could just find the confounded schematic I could probably get Anthony fixed up fairly easily. Failing that I'll have to recreate the blasted thing from memory. That's not entirely bad, as I have a minor modification I wanted to try anyway.

Grey

Thanks for the pick up on the X Tube Preamp question Grey. As someone intentionally removed my post #975 asking the question, I was not sure you had seen it.

Why would my post have been removed in the first place? Mind you it is not the first time in this particular thread.

Anthony

I have no comment on moderating practices at this time. I had not seen the post, but I'm in tube mode at the moment and will try to clear the backlog for higher voltage stuff, although the Hafler rebuild topic is currently on my mind in addition to active crossover variation #99. I'm back to using followers--no gain at all--just accept the insertion loss and go on.
Bear in mind that I'm well into sleep deprivation and cannot guarantee that my posts will be entirely rational until I get a couple of hours of shut-eye.

Grey