DIY progress report

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ya gotta do......

Nelson,

This is the second time you've mentioned a monster amp!
The first time , we sent you back to work on the crossover. The big amp keeps coming up, so yes, I think it is indeed bubbling up from within you!!!! :devily:

At the very least, we all need a big amp for those subwoofers that put the woofer in a tiny cube below resonance and then they roll off smooothly- I forget what they are called (the Sunfires are an example) and then you power them with a huge amp.

Also, my kid's school needs a stage PA system with big amps! They could have Pass sound, and grow up to be audiophiles!! I'll need some help on the woofers, from your ongoing testing program!!! :) :

Wait!!! that's a real niche that needs filling. Very few good sounding Pro sound amps out I've heard. Make the design rugged!! In the new state every rock and rool band will have a decent PA system! Yup, you are saving the world one amp at a time!!!!

Are you sure you really want a monster amp

Actually I originally asked you the very question your answer was quoted from some time ago. I am still looking for a monster Amp and would be delighted to see a Nelson Pass design. I have been thinking about trying thw AV800 by Anthony Holton. I currently own the Rotel 1080 200Watt Stereo beast and would really like to build something that can out perform Rotels' 380 Watt 1090.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I am a power hungry, knuckle dragging, vine swinging, gorilla with a penchant for loud classical music.

I thought about an Aelph 1.2 but at 200 watts it still does not invoke that hormone rush, besides I am still working on my Aelph II.

Anybody have any feedback on the AV800? Still rather build a Pass project. :)

Anthony

Since we talk about monster amp, anyone who knows what have happened to Glen's wild ideas? Before he had publish a real monster of 3.6 kW with pcb's and all. The noise-opamp article from a another thread http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6029 came from him. 3.6kW wasn't enough so he started to develope this 20 kW thing. My question was: Why do you want this power? Never got any answer.

If you do want 20 kW class D of some sort is thing I suppose?

http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/glenk/

Nelson, couldn't you at least give us a sketch (not neccessarily working) of your bold ideas?:)

Re: Krell origin

JoeD said:
Krell founder is Dan D'Agostino.
Krell was named after the Krell, an advanced civilization portrayed in the movie Forbidden Planet.

Ok, just as I suspected. What happended to Guys previous
answer and my response to it? I can't find netiher, or was
I just dreaming that it happened??? Anyway his joke worked;
although somewhat suspiciously I did believe him, until today
when I suddenly remembered that Dr. Morbius was the scientist
in that movie. I was about to respond and congratulate him
to a sucessful joke, but couldn't find the posts. Instead I found
your post, which I take as the final and correct answer to my
question.

Mr. Pass, any hints as to what your design might be in topology, out put stage, timeline?

Ever thought about a Hitachi device output section in place of IRF? Thier new high Power matched pair MOSFETS are interesting. Would you go mono block or a stereo front end?

Please Sir, could we have some more?

Information that is, texas gold

Anthony

Jason,

I've know the feeling. To walk into any high-end hifi shop and try to find high efficient speakers is pretty much impossible. I really like the days when Klipsch marketed 100+db /1w/1m efficient speakers. But oh no..... mention the word "horn" drivers and they laugh at me. Instead they like to show me Dynaudio drivers... Of course there are exceptions such as the Avant Guarde line of horn speakers (though not fancy on the idea of separate powered subwoofers).

So I am patiently waiting for the El Pipe O and with anything that large... I must assume it must be very efficient. Leave the 1+ KW power amps for concert lovers....