DIY progress report - Page 143 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2007, 09:56 AM   #1421
Manu is offline Manu  Europe
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
Beside the fact that the sonido are a very tasty project (I already e-mailed them).
What is wrong with the fostex i mentioned? This bass hybrid enclosure looks interesting, no? With an additional tweeter the FE126E would make good figure.
(But I am prudently asking because I have no experience with neither Fullrange nor Horn)

Still searching for the translation of "cpslck" in the collins Engl.-French dictionnary
Old 17th June 2007, 10:38 AM   #1422
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Manu
Thanks.
Beside the fact that the sonido are a very tasty project (I already e-mailed them).
What is wrong with the fostex i mentioned? This bass hybrid enclosure looks interesting, no? With an additional tweeter the FE126E would make good figure.
(But I am prudently asking because I have no experience with neither Fullrange nor Horn)

Still searching for the translation of "cpslck" in the collins Engl.-French dictionnary

that particular sonido is on par with Lowthers
cheaper.........verrrrrrry much cheaper

fostex is fostex -cheaper but also of something less quality ;don't get me wrong-that's not bad driver in any meaning,but not in that league'

in any case=even in full range,in fact especially in full range- don't go bellow 8"

did I told you yet (or several times ) - google for "lampizator" and look for his latest spk projects
sorry if I did,but I really don't know where I didn't spread that drek.........
Old 17th June 2007, 08:38 PM   #1423
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Pass Labs replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by macka

Frankly all the long term user reports of the DEQX in hi end systems are of disappointments....loss of micro dynamics and that it is not a once box panacea.

Macka
Thanks Macka - much appreciated.

Are these disappointments voiced specifically from those with analogue sources who are having to use the DEQX's ADCs?

Mani
Old 17th June 2007, 08:43 PM   #1424
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GRollins
The reason that first order crossovers (6 dB/oct) sound best is because...well...they're the best.
Grey

Thanks Grey.

Perhaps you, or anyone else, could explain to me why a 6db/oct slope should sound better than a linear phase 300db/oct slope. Is it due to some sort of ringing effect?

In any event, as I mentioned, I can't live with anything above 6 db/oct with the XVR1.

Incidentally, DEQX use a max of 96db/oct slopes in their demo system...

Mani.
Old 18th June 2007, 06:19 PM   #1425
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by manisandher
Perhaps you, or anyone else, could explain to me why a 6db/oct slope should sound better than a linear phase 300db/oct slope.
It's a good question. The 300db/oct is digitally generated and
might contain transient artifacts, but I don't know. Also, it is
common for "linear phase" filters to simply have an approximation
of linear phase, but I wouldn't expect that to the be the problem.

Old 19th June 2007, 09:17 PM   #1426
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass

The 300db/oct is digitally generated and
might contain transient artifacts...
Thanks Nelson. I'll ask the guys at DEQX to see if they know.

Incidentally, I think I know why people might be disappointed with the DEQX PDC 2.6. Analogue guys are screwed by its ADC, and digital guys are screwed by its lack of word clock synchronisation with source.

Mani.
Old 19th June 2007, 09:28 PM   #1427
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Pass Labs replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by manisandher

Thanks Macka - much appreciated.

Are these disappointments voiced specifically from those with analogue sources who are having to use the DEQX's ADCs?

Mani
No. The simply used it as a active crossover and compared to passive.

As I said above this is not a one box panacea.

The more you actually understand about the issue and the correct fixes the more you will appreciate why this is the case.

People will however be drawn in by seductive marketing hype.
Old 23rd June 2007, 05:25 PM   #1428
diyAudio Member

I've just read the following thread completely:

A how to for a PC XO.

It's really interesting!

My inclination right now is to compare a PC XO/DRC solution (either Frequency Allocator or Acourate) with the XVR1.

Mani.
Old 24th June 2007, 04:58 PM   #1429
daly41k is offline daly41k  United States
diyAudio Member

Default aleph 1.2 and line arrays

I am using the DEQX 2.6P and I can tell you it is not a plug and play system. On their web page you can get admitted to the Yahoo group blog for DEQX. You will find a world wide audience using their products and The DEQX team answers many questions and does software updates. The new version of the software is 24/96. I recently tried biamping using my pass 350's on the bottom and my home built Aleph's on the tweeters (they are now being upgraded to AX100's. I desgned a 24db passive filter crossover at 2600hz and using the DEQX speaker correction and room correction was fairly straight forward. You can also put in a subwoofer and do corrections.

When moving to biamp, you better have patience as the differenct efficiencies of the drivers come into play and you have unlimited choice of crossovers and slopes. Bi amping did make a big improvement but the one negative was that the speakers sounded brighter and I am still adjusting and expeirmenting to get it right.

I thinke their dacs are very good sonically, for tweekers the PS could be better.

Regarding your vinyl, the 2.6p plays it back at 24/96 so it is very high quality. I do have a by pass so I can go from my phono amp back to my tube line stage to my outboard passive crossover if I really miss an all analog system but to my ears the quality of the speaker correction and room correction is better. dave
Old 24th June 2007, 06:54 PM   #1430
diyAudio Member

Thanks Dave,

Yes, my own experience with the XVR1 is that you have to be very, very patient.

I tried quite a few different slopes and Q settings until finally accepting 1st order and low Q as the most natural sounding.

You mentioned using a 24db/octave filter. I'm trying to understand what causes high order (>4th order) linear phase crossovers to sound bad. If they're linear phase, what's the problem?

DEQX make a huge fanfare of the fact that they have up to 300db/oct, but I know of no one using such steep slopes.

What has been your experience with these higher slopes?

Mani.

Hide this!Advertise here!