DIY progress report

some gratitude please

Mr. Pass has written an excellent document with schematics and filter response curves called PASS LABORATORIES XVR1 ELECTRONIC CROSSOVER NETWORK OWNERS MANUAL. It is almost a paint by numbers kit for an active crossover design.

http://www.passlabs.com/pdf/XVR1MAN1.PDF

This is practically a textbook on active crossover design. He has also written about building simple discreet transistor op amps:

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/diyopamp.pdf

A couple of afternoons with these a few Spice model to dial in the component values and you can design your own version of his circuit with very little effort. Thanks Nelson! Some of us are grateful as hell for you post here all the wonderful articles you have written. I am sure that they were a labor of love, but still a lot of labor that I doubt anyone loves in the middle of writing them.

I am waiting for someone to ask him to balance their check book and do their taxes next...........

The Grateful Fred

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
As in the Westerns:
"Hey Paw, we was just hav'n a little fun"

Just trying to keep Mr. Pass from having to read our true opinion:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14981
over and over- the adulation must get a little boring:

The fun is the absolute unreasonableness of demanding his projects. Like kids demanding gifts! I think he realizes this, and I assume he sees we are making tongue in cheek comments, he IS a pretty smart guy don't you know.... I certainly hope we aren't really adding to the pressures of running his business up there in the idylic California foothills.

Now the taxes..... he only lives about 2 hours from me, and I could drive up there... I'm sure he wouldn't mind....hmmmm good idea-thanks Fred. Hey, "The Grateful Fred" have you considered starting a band?

Fred,

I'm surprised with your talents you haven't wipped up a pre amble of the diyaudio active crossover using Jfets for us diy mortals to follow in your foot steps............ only joking.

I am actually waiting quietly the new remote Passdiy active preamp , I have enquired and our darling Pass Diva Karen advises Mr Pass is busy writing the script among all his other noble responsibilities.

It will be nice to have so I can curl up on the sofa with chicky bab all nice and snug in the middle of winter with no interuptions... Muhhhahah. Shared bodily warmth is a wonderful thing said James Bond.

On the diy front has anyone ventured into the domain of a Jfet based X Preamp, I recall Grey had something in the pipeline.

This would be a handy project for a low noise based active speaker using hi sensitivity drivers (not horns of course says Mr Pass).

Ian

Nelson is going to put a contract on me at this rate.

'Now the taxes..... he only lives about 2 hours from me, and I could drive up there... I'm sure he wouldn't mind....hmmmm good idea-thanks Fred. Hey, "The Grateful Fred" have you considered starting a band?"

Don't forget a couple of loads of laundry for a spin in the X Amp powered washer and dryer (uses hot air from the exit duct for heatsink cooling fans)

Actually I did build a Zetex mosfet follower Sallen Key active crossover with a 4th order L-R alignment. I will look for pics. I would post a schematic, but like the show biz advice about kids or animal acts, Never follow a Passlabs design!

An X type preamp schematic was posted on the forum and is below (not mine)

Attachments

• xpre.jpg
    xpre.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,286
Variac,

No, mud cake is sort of a super chocolate cake, but you could try Peanut Butter and Chocolate, thats Mr Pass favourite....flavour

XA Series: Like Peanut Butter and Chocolate.

Just ask your Momma for her secret recipe.

That would get munched up a 2 seconds flat.

Hey don't be surprised if Karen sends you a secret invite tonight.

Ian:yummy:

Variac,

Hows that invitation going.....now don't be shy.

I'm sure you would get a very warm welcome from the Pass Diva Karen with a big chocolate cake under your arm.

I may have to do a big bunny hop and fly over there if you don't do it. (we have plenty of peanut butter down here too)

Ian:eek:

Steady boys, remember Karen is a married lady.

Okay,

Just had breakie. Project update

Today is X X day.

I will be assembling the X Aleph power supply (15+15 VDC) this afternoon when the D T's stop.

It will be interesting to compare and evaluate.

How many others have done this yet or have their X Aleph boards populated ready for use?

Ian