Designing Aleph P Ckt Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently designing my own Aleph P circuit board and soon a generic Aleph amp board. I am searching where I could get different sizes of plated-through holes used in doubled sided PCBs. Can somebody please tell me where? Digi-key and mouser only sell kits with one size.

Are you going to etch the board yourself? If you are having the board professionally made this information is not needed. If you plan to etch the board yourself you are looking for PCB Vias and they usually only come in one size. Unfortunately that size is too small to run a component lead thru. Maybe someone else has been able to find a larger size Via but I have not to date.

What?? Why??

The most common way for via's in prototype boards is to use the component legs.
Otherwise a via is just a wirelink through two solderpads ???
There is absolutely no need to use via "rivets " unless one has a specific wish to use them....?? Looks neat though...........
As kilowattski says-- if your boards are made by a PCB plant, the vias are included. Sometimes the number of drilled holes, vias included, influences the price........depends on PCB House policies...

Vias, rivets, through-hole plating...or whatever nameform it comes make soldering easier as it flows through to the other side more easily, especially for big capacitors, terminal blocks, etc. that sit on the pcb. I don't want to melt the cap skin and plastic bodies trying to get my solder on the top side. I won't worry about it on resistors and the like. Calm down my Viking friend...I plan to make them myself. Thanks kWski!

Potentiometer for Aleph P ?

Can somebody tell me what potentiometer values fit best with the Aleph P?

I`ve seen a few people use potis with 4 decks. Isn`t it better to use a stereo poti after adding the symmetric signals? Otherwise differences in the resistance of the two ways of the poti will lead to addition failures i think. Or are 4 deck potis only used on the input?

Would be happy for some replies. :D

illusionxx

Aleph P Volume...?

Hello everybody.....

Seems like no potentiometers fit to Aleph P, except you have 22 rotary switch with 4 gangs..... :(

Otherwise, please refer to it's original volume ladder like Mr. Pass designed.... :eek: :att'n: No..... It isn't hard things at all..... :angel:

I've contacted Mr. Pass, and he gave me some beautiful clues, that makes me easy to build the ladder volume. I'm using 16 DPDT relays, and 8 DPDT toggle switches, and resistors as pointed out from the scematic. With these, you can easily setting the output of Aleph P manually, like the original do (with micro controller).

The main principles are :
1. lowest volume : all relays off, all resistors are shorting the output socket to ground.
2. highest volume : all relays on, all resistors are shorting the ouput form pre-amp to output socket.
3. step by step : Step 1st, relay with 68 ohm resistors on.
Step 2nd, relay with 120 ohm resistors on, together with the 68 ohm relay.
Step 3rd, relay with 240 ohm resistors on, together with the preceding 2 relays.....
The next step is the same until the eighth step.
4. Then you have it....

I've used this idea on my Aleph P pre-amp, the result was very satisfy....... :hot:
"What a cool to set up the volume through toggle switch....
:cool: "

Regards, KS

kilowattski said:
you are looking for PCB Vias and they usually only come in one size. Unfortunately that size is too small to run a component lead thru. Maybe someone else has been able to find a larger size Via but I have not to date.

I think they come in three sizes, but you are right that the biggest is still too small, 16 mil.

I know of one fool who etched the pcb's, drilled the holes, filled the holes with solder(silver actually) and drilled the holes a second time before getting the second layer on the copper
The dude uses teflon rings around the leads between the component and the board.
Looks good, nu burned foil, he says

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.