ZEN/SOZ hybrid - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th July 2001, 02:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default Resistors v Constant Current sources

In this particular application the use of constant current sources will dramatically lower the level of second harmonics. However it does lead to greater odd order harmonics which extend to quite high multiples. many people feel that some second order harmonics provides a "pleasant, valve like" sound. On the other hand odd harmonics are generally considered undesireable. Once again just looking a raw specs can be misleading as the THD with constant current sources is much lower, notwithstanding the fact that many prefer a design with resistors.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 15th July 2001, 02:55 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Pete,

If resistors produce more 2nd order harmonics and less odd order shouldn't I be witnessing a warmer more relaxed reproduction with this style of amp in comparison to the zen amp?

Dan
Old 16th July 2001, 06:20 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Harmonics

I have never modelled the zen amp so was not comparing different typologies, simply answering your question regarding resistor v. current sources in an op amp. I will be home in a few days and can look at the Zen if you wish to pursue that.

Regarding second harmonic v. higher order, yes I would expect a subjective comparison to suggest a greater level of second harmonic produces a "warm" sound. Depending on their amplitude and multiple, higher order harmonics can produce sound that is described as "harsh", or "bright". If not excessive is sometimes confused as being "more detailed" even though the latter case is not actually true. Describing amps in this manner can at times be a triffle confusing given the symantics involved.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 16th July 2001, 10:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Pete,

I have modelled the ZEN and SOZ amps using Circuit Maker 2000 (a spice modeller) but am unsure how to obtain distortion characteristics from such models. Is this possible? If so how would I go about it?

Cheers

Dan
Old 17th July 2001, 06:41 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Have a look at Fourier Analysis. Circuit Maker does not, as I understand it, provide as much information as is possible using the XSPICE engine, however is possible to model what we are refering to here.

This is from the Circuitmaker web site.

"Fourier Analysis The Fourier analysis shows the frequency spectrum of any waveform. Simply click on a point in the circuit with the Probe Tool to plot the frequency spectrum at that point. You can define the fundamental frequency as well as the number of harmonics."

Cheers,

Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!