How should I build the Son Of Zen. Hardwired or using PCBs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2002, 11:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Erik Johansson
Question How should I build the Son Of Zen. Hardwired or using PCBs?

Iīm thinking of building a Son Of Zen amp but I havenīt found any PCB layouts for it yet. Are people building these simple things hardwired or what? Or does someone have a pcb layout for it?

/Erik
Old 30th June 2002, 11:38 AM   #2
Banned

Iīm not very experienced and i built ZEN variation 2 and bride of ZEN handwired.

build SOZ handwired! you wonīt need much more that the Mosfets , some wire, and a very very big heatsink to mount everything on it.
Old 30th June 2002, 11:43 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by till
Iīm not very experienced and i built ZEN variation 2 and bride of ZEN handwired.

build SOZ handwired! you wonīt need much more that the Mosfets , some wire, and a very very big heatsink to mount everything on it.
Yes there are very few components. Also, I just found a guy selling 10000uF/63V Rifa PEH169 caps cheap, these should work well in the SOZ psu right?

Also, how powerful must the transformer be for 2x10W or 2x15W output and what voltage should it be for those outputs?

/Erik
Old 30th June 2002, 12:54 PM   #4
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Johansson
Also, how powerful must the transformer be for 2x10W or 2x15W output and what voltage should it be for those outputs?
Minimum Safe Ratings are as follows
Assuming standard transformer --> bridge --> caps bank type power supply.

2x10W = 900VA @ 2 x 22V
2x15W = 1.3kVa @ 2 x 27V
Old 30th June 2002, 01:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AudioFreak

Minimum Safe Ratings are as follows
Assuming standard transformer --> bridge --> caps bank type power supply.

2x10W = 900VA @ 2 x 22V
2x15W = 1.3kVa @ 2 x 27V
900VA for 10W? Oh I said 2x10W... does that mean you meant a single transformer for both channels? Or is it THAT power hungry? I think I saw someone in the gallery having built a 2x5W SOZ using a single 250VA 2x12V transformer and he was planning on building a 2x15W version using dual 600VA 2x25V transformers.

What kind of power can I get using a 600VA transformer? Thatīs the largest ones I can source locally and they come in 2x12V, 2x18V and 2x24V versions.

/Erik
Old 30th June 2002, 01:25 PM   #6
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Quote:
Originally posted by Erik Johansson

900VA for 10W? Oh I said 2x10W... does that mean you meant a single transformer for both channels? Or is it THAT power hungry? I think I saw someone in the gallery having built a 2x5W SOZ using a single 250VA 2x12V transformer and he was planning on building a 2x15W version using dual 600VA 2x25V transformers.

What kind of power can I get using a 600VA transformer? Thatīs the largest ones I can source locally and they come in 2x12V, 2x18V and 2x24V versions.

/Erik
I quoted total for stereo so if you are building mono blocks 1/2 the VA rating for each channel

for 600VA you can get about 13.5W mono using 2 x 24V.
Old 30th June 2002, 01:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:

for 600VA you can get about 13.5W mono using 2 x 24V.
How do I calculate the transformer requirements? 13.5W monoblocks would be awsome though. Although I have now found much cheaper 500VA/2x25V units on-line.

Would 10000uF/63V Rifa PEH169 caps be sufficiant for the PSU? I can get a good price ($85) on 10 of those.

/Erik
Old 30th June 2002, 02:07 PM   #8
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

To calculate the transformer rating, look at the total power draw of the circuit then divide by 0.62 to get minimum total VA rating. Those caps should be fine I think but you'll need more than 10 of them for a stereo pair.
Old 30th June 2002, 02:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
To calculate the transformer rating, look at the total power draw of the circuit then divide by 0.62 to get minimum total VA rating. Those caps should be fine I think but you'll need more than 10 of them for a stereo pair.
Reading the papers I just printed from www.passdiy.com about the Zen and SOZ I just can decide which of the two to build. The SOZ is soooo simple and I love it for it, but the Zen is designed for unbalanced use (I donīt run balanced) and doesnīt seem to need as big transformers, although it is more complicated to build.

What I really like about the SOZ is the simplicity and that everyone seem to love it.

/Erik
Old 30th June 2002, 04:43 PM   #10
swede is offline swede  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

I'm currently building an Aleph30, which will do good for me. I also buy my stuff mainly in Gothenburg.

I usually buy my stuff at Tema Elektronik, but they are closed for the next couple of weeks (the guy owning the store is on vacation). He has reasonable prices for most of the stuff you need; transformers, caps and rectifiers. Usually he has all transistors as well.

Where in Gothenburg do you usually buy your stuff? Elfa (=expensive but good)?

Best regards,
//magnus

Hide this!Advertise here!