The Pass Monster?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SmarmyDog said:

Jacco: But you are a nut! Regarding the leftover thousands of transistors, I thought the "Kilowatt Brothers" would use them for mass production of these babies. (Just kidding Mr. Pass).

-Casey Walsh

Well Casey the building of said monsters would have to be under liscence from Pass Labs Of course!

Im sure with enough bottles of negotiations we could work out something now couldnt we? hahahahahha

Things are progressing along slowly here. much slower than i had hoped but we now have some preliminary data on the big inductors and believe me there BIG. in fact, there going to as big if not bigger than the transformers! all in the name of low loss, and low noise.

I may get the company thats custom making these inductors to make up 2 of the FAT air coils for comparison.

Zc

Front end update:
As I said, +-80V (which I think of as 160Vp-p), is trivial. Nailed that. For a tube critter, that's a big Duh. Remember, when you want volts, tubes are your friends (it's current that makes tube folks want to run and hide). Got two details I want to nail down before going on to the follower stage.
Power supply is still a 100VA EI isolation transformer into a voltage doubler. Don't see any need to change that at this time. Have not made up my mind whether to regulate or go CRC to get the rail. Right now it's CRC.
As usual, my main enemy is time. I'll try to steal a few more hours in the near future. May have to order in some parts. We'll see.

Grey

Progress report.
Almost none, unfortunately. My daughter got sick. Those who have dealt with small children will know what I mean when I say that a two year-old can deliver a blast of germs that would qualify as a Weapon of Mass Infection. They turn, give you a pitiful look, and sneeze right in your face. Okay, that put me down for most of the past two weeks. Couple that with the need to get the dual headphone amp out the door (done...yea! now all I need to do is get paid for it...) and the line stage (circuit done, PCBs etched and populated, now I've got to get it into a chassis and try to get it out the door, too), and I'm still wishing I had more hours in the day.
(Had to stop and write a story, too...)
I got interested in trying different combinations of tubes in the differential cascode, so what time I've been able to apply to the Monster Front End has been spent in that direction. A little tweaking here, a little fiddling there, then back to bed as it's not wise for sick folks to hang out in cold basements too much.
Incidentally, someone posted earlier (in this thread, I think) that their basement was around 60 degrees. I wish! Mine runs between 52 and 58 degrees, depending on the outside temperature. In another month or two, that will begin to creep up, but until then the forecast for the basement is chilly.

Grey

Nelson,
All the heavy iron is already in the basement, but in another room. The cumulative square footage of the basement is enough that it would be prohibitive to try to actually heat it, per se, so I try to make everything do double-duty. In this case, that means music and heat.
Mike,
I'm putting together another Mini-A (on your board layout) that will be the first time that I've actually had decent cound in the area where I do the electronic stuff. Not that a Mini-A is all that great as a space heater, but before all is said and done I may decide to biamp or something.
(thanks for the boards, by the way...)

Grey

Update

Hi All:

Here's a quick update of where I am with these puppies.

The mechanical configuration hasn't changed much other than the tedious details of the bottom chassis. Here is a SolidWorks rendering:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here is a link to a higher resolution picture: http://photonlogic.com/PicServe/PM/2005-03-05/PM2.jpg

The bottom plates are in the queue at the CNC shop. While I’m waiting for them I’m going to set up some test equipment to start matching the output stage FET’s.

If you have the eDrawings viewer on your computer you can download the 3D model from here. The viewer will let you manipulate the model freely in space. It’s quite cool.

-Casey Walsh

I am still haning in here as well. the shop that is building the BIG inductors is being very slow. we now at least have layouts to the size and shape of the inductor and they have now sent it to the sales department to get me pricing. they are supposed to be winding the first prototype inductor this week, but they have to custom build the first core to wind the 6ga wire on first. then they will do some comliance testing and once they have it figured out, I will FINALLY start getting these big babies!!!

Zc

Speaker terminals for the monster.

Gentlemen, I would like to offer the following Superior Electric connectors for the speaker connections on the monster. If you think they will work, tell me where to send them. I was saving them for a large power supply but have decided to do something different. Just thought they would look great on the chassis being oversize and all. Regards, Steve

Attachments

• superior small.jpg
    superior small.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 935
Thylantyr: Nice looking tweets! Those Madisound connectors look like something I’d like to use on a mildly insane amplifier, but I think they lack the Frankenstein appeal this monster kinda has going.

Gearheaddruid: I hope this generous offering of yours doesn’t mean you’ve given up hope of putting all those huge toroidal trafos and caps you have to good use! Do you have six sets of those puppies? What gauge wire do they accept?

-Casey Walsh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.