The Pass Monster?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
SmarmyDog said:
My 1995 ZR-1 Corvette

ZR1 ?
You must be enjoying putting us little people down, Casey !
Isnt having Rocket amplifiers enough ?
Oh No, MR Walsh has to mention that he has a ZR1 in the garage.
Whats next,a Blue Devil ?
They havent built that either yet !!!!!!!!!
Just to let you know : You dont own a Chevrolet any more, you can take the BowTie OFF !
NaNaNaNaNaNah. :clown:

(ok, i love the rocket amp design)

Although there are a number of interesting things that can be done with bipolar rails and tubes, most circuits only require one rail. What I have planned for the front end will probably utilize a 300V rail (not counting the filament supply). Given that a voltage doubler gives somewhat more than that, I intend to do a CRC type filter to get down to the target range.
I actually managed to steal a few minutes this afternoon. Started pulling parts. Got some isolation transformers I bought when my favorite local parts shop went under last year. Looks as though the secondary is wound a bit hot--gives 135V out for about 122V in, but I anticipate that it will drop a bit when it's under load. No problem either way. Resistors are cheap and readily available.

Grey

Midlife crisis.

Nelson: I did not know you had a police car :clown: Certainly someone would be willing to trade a Carrera or Viper for some audio gear!

Casey: after 15 years of driving suburban assault vehicles (mini-vans), I am digging my toy out of the garage. Working on fuel injection for my 72 454 Vette! Also installing a four speed automatic in place of the Turbo 400. It probably won't keep up with the new stuff but I hope to better the 10-12 MPG it was getting as well as be able to run pump gas without all the additives. I am going to try the EFI on my Honda V-65. Want to get it up to around 160 H.P. Love to put the young studs on crotch rockets in thier place! An old fool on an old bike just kicked your A**.

When I stop enjoying speed and looking at attractive women, you might as well nail the lid on the coffin!:D

Nelson Pass said:

My sympathies. I gave up my 911, but I suppose I could always
have that mid-life crisis and get the Lola....

Ahh this is my Baby here!!!!

a 1996 BMW 850Ci V-12 155mph monster GT coupe!!!!! She is tucked away in her heated, carpeted garage until late spring.

I will be driving it out to Le Pass's place when Casey and I deliver the Monsters!!!

Attachments

• 850lrz.jpg
    850lrz.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 793
Coulomb said:
I found some nice 7500 uF 450 VDC caps recently, was not sure if I should pick them up. After all what suicidal maniac would build an amplifier with +/- rails over 400 VDC!!!
:) :) :)

Anthony

400V that is it ? the amp im working on here will start at that and go up..

The amp i was wanting to build wanted 1200V a we bit hi to start off...

Here's a little update on the power supply section for Le Monstre. Some stuff has been re-arranged since the initial PSU schematic posting by Mr. Pass. This was to accommodate the parts on hand. I tried to keep the functional topology unchanged. Please let me know if I've messed anything up.

-Casey Walsh :magnet: :hypno2:

Attachments

• powersupplysketch800.jpg
    powersupplysketch800.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 1,073
Pardon my ignorance but I was looking at the psu circuit and i dont understand how the BR1-4 are connected. The configuration seems odd. Could someone explain how it works?
BTW when will the amp schematic be done and what will be the power output?

One more thing, I dont see any DC blocking caps on the AC lines, are there any plans for any cuz if the transformers are torodial there will be hum which I am sure you guys know. Or am I just not understanding this PUS.
Keep in mind I am no expert i'm just trying to figure this thing out.

Thanks
Lawrence

lawbadman: My house has it's own power transformer and I don't think I have any 1/2-wave rectified loads around, so hopefully the trafos won’t hum. If they do, I suppose I could add a couple 470,000uF low-voltage electrolytics back-to-back with protection diodes. That will only introduce about a 2V sag under full load.

Jacco: But you are a nut! Regarding the leftover thousands of transistors, I thought the "Kilowatt Brothers" would use them for mass production of these babies. (Just kidding Mr. Pass).

-Casey Walsh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.