The Pass Monster?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Methinks Dr. Benton Quest should be called in.
Anthony,
Can you hang loose for a while on the preamp whilst I try to Mad Scientist this thing?
jacco vermeulen,
I've never been drawn to Darjeeling. I prefer darker teas, in pretty much the same way the I prefer red wine, the bolder the better. Besides, when you need caffeine, Assam is pretty much king; it's the basis of most breakfast teas. Me, I just cut to the chase...give me the Assam straight up. Drinking some GFOP Tippy Orthodox right now, in fact. (You gotta love these terms they use.)
As for as progress goes, I'm still in the scratches on paper stage, considering options. It ain't the voltage swing that's the problem, it's the current, but I've got some ideas. Just weighing options. At the moment, my top priority is going to be the changes that Stan (editor) has requested on Mop Up (a story). Just the usual over-committed way that I live my life. I'll muddle through somehow. The trick is to do it on 3 1/2 hours sleep.

Grey

Hey Grey, I have the patience of Job (pronounced Joeb or Jobe).

I am quite a tea tottler myself, I agree Assam teas have a nice kick, but if you can find them the Assam/Kenya blends are about as strong as they get. I used to get all my teas from Marks & Sparks, now I troll the specialty british import shops or bring them in directly from the UK.

Regards

Anthony

GRollins said:
www.uptontea.com
Going to have to switch over to hot cocoa shortly, I'm afraid. We're expecting freezing rain tonight and tomorrow. Hope we don't lose power.
Headed down into the dungeon. Got circuits to try out. Hope I don't freeze my (mumble) off. It's cold down there.

Grey

Bloody Hell how cold can it possibly get in South Carolina, Freezing rain, bleeding luxury, we passed Freezing Rain 30 Degrees ago!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Regards

Anthony

Aye, but you probably have heat where you work on your circuits. I don't have heat in the basement and it gets a wee bit chilly down there, especially after a couple of hours.
It's comparatively warmer now, of course, but it was 7.7 degrees here the other morning. (Outside...not in the basement.)

Grey

Chilly basements.

Hi guys, I know this has nothing to do with the Pass Monster but, you need to get into massive tube amps or large class A. That way you could enjoy your hobby and be warm!;)
I have the same problem. I just want to hibernate when it gets cold. I have started saving the textured foam from my company's boxes to line the cement walls with. It is warmer and has the added benefit of sound absorbtion!
If your load resistors are big enough, just plug them into the mains! That is an audio guy's space heater!
Regards, Steve

Alright.... I subscribed to this thread because I was very interested in a megawatt Arc welder... the last 10 posts or so have been kind of "off-topic". I go to the thread thinking there will be some update from Smarmy, Zero or Nelson...

Guys, the anticipation is chilling! :xeye:

Here’s a quick status report on what I’m up to:

* We have a preliminary schematic for the output section so I purchased 3000 TO-3P transistors to begin matching. Tedious work by the way – I’ll need plenty of English Breakfast tea (cream and sugar, please).

* I procured eighteen aluminum plates, each 18” wide by 28”deep by ¼” thick. Each of the 6 monoblocks will consist of three chassis (see sketches below) and each chassis will contain one of these plates as the main structural mounting plane. Zero and I are fine-tuning the layout of the innards, and then I’ll have the plates CNC-machined.

* I’m about 1/3 of the way through re-forming the 240 26mF, 250V capacitors.

* I have everything kitted to build the power supplies except for the inductors.

All for now – I have three little boys that want to go play at the (sunny, warm) beach… :cool:

PS: Grey, I’m having trouble finding sockets for the power supply regulation tubes (see below). Do you have any spares? ;)

-Casey Walsh

Attachments

• passtube.jpg
    passtube.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,006
I have a topology I'm semi-pleased with, at least on paper. I'll try to get to the soldering iron phase as soon as possible, but it's gotten to the point where I can only work at this stuff on the weekends, and sometimes not even then. I manage an hour or two on random weekdays...
For what it's worth, I'm planning on using a 1:1 isolation transformer and a voltage doubler to get the rail voltage. That way things aren't limited to "tube" transformers. Isolation transformers are fairly easy to come by.

Grey

gearheaddruid: With all of those 600V, 75A industrial MOSFET's and your stack of 3.5KVA toroidal trafos laying around it seems you're in a position to build a few monoblock that you could rate in horsepower.:D

Regarding the capacitors in the sketches, each amp contains forty 26mF, 250VDC screw-terminal electrolytics, which adds up to over 1 Farad per amp. Each capacitor is 3" in diameter and 9" tall.:bigeyes:

-Casey Walsh

SmarmyDog said:
gearheaddruid: With all of those 600V, 75A industrial MOSFET's and your stack of 3.5KVA toroidal trafos laying around it seems you're in a position to build a few monoblock that you could rate in horsepower.:D

Regarding the capacitors in the sketches, each amp contains forty 26mF, 250VDC screw-terminal electrolytics, which adds up to over 1 Farad per amp. Each capacitor is 3" in diameter and 9" tall.:bigeyes:

-Casey Walsh

When you say 26 mF do you mean to say they are 26,000 uF?

Regards

Anthony

Capacitors.

Smarmy, my mistake, I wish they had taught me the Metric system better in grade school. I took that as 26ufd. Scratch the caps, I'll find some tube person to sell them to.
I am just starting on my kid's gaming room. Video projector, a custom switch system for all the games, BIG subwoofer, and of course some amp muscle. I am not building any real large amps right now as I need money for my other vice: going fast! Got a couple of projects in the garage I want done by spring. Regards, Steve

Coulomb: Yes, I mean 26,000uF. I s’poze I should use the more widely accepted uF convention since I’ve seen many capacitors actually use the milli-prefix ‘m’ for microfarads. Anyway, we have one Coulomb of charge per volt in our capacitor bank.:D

Audiousername: Sorry to mess with ya. The tube on the right is actually a CRT from some very old piece of test equipment. The one on the left I picked up at a garage sale many years ago because it looked cool. I’ve never actually designed any tube circuits, but if Grey is serious about trying a tube front-end for Le Monstre, I’m very interested in learning!:wiz:

Gearheaddruid: So, what’s going on in the garage? My 1995 ZR-1 Corvette got “upgraded” to a minivan when things became er, um, family-oriented.:c_flag:

-Casey Walsh

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.