The Pass Monster?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nelson Pass said:

Joules = Volts squared time Farads divided by 2

= 168 * 168 * 1 / 2

= 14112 Joules / channel

COOOOL!!!

horse·pow·er ( P ) Pronunciation Key (hôrspour)
n. pl. horse·power
Abbr. hp A unit of power in the U.S. Customary System, equal to 745.7 watts or 33,000 foot-pounds per minute.
The power exerted by a horse in pulling.

2500watts peak / 745.7 = 3.35 peak Hp!!!! & 110,550 FP peak Per Minute !!!! Yeah baby Now thats TORQUE!!!!

Zero :Pumpkin:

Just think, you'll be the first on your block to have a Pass moped...then you can write "Zen and the Art of Moped Maintenance." Sure to be a best seller.

Grey

P.S.: Once upon a time, I was into power (as opposed to sound quality--I kinda had the two mixed up in those days) and got all in a twitter because my system was 'only' something like 4HP. Somehow, I had it in my head that it would be at least an order of magnitude higher than that, and was disappointed at the smallish number. It's okay, the story had a happy ending.

Hi,

In making such a big amp, power supply efficiency seems always an important thing. That's why they invented Class G or H. With this classes, you can put any class audio CCT for audio reproduction (even class A), and efficiency is gained by having the supply rail modulated.

Is this idea will not agreed with your design phylosophy, Mr.Pass? You sure like run things HOT.

If this suggestion is OK, there is an interesting idea of modulating the supply not by Class G or H type, but rather modulating the supply by a classD principles. I dont know how to do it yet, but it is a good option for Pass Monster.

PS : Hope to see a high-class live concert powered by "Pass" product.

Attachments

• td.jpg
    td.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 1,456
Gaucho said:

2500 watts into 8 ohms needs approx +/- 200 VDC rails, so 1 farad total (or rail to rail 1/4 Farad) stores 20,000 Joules! :eek:

1 farad = 1 ampere current for 1 second per volt
1 F = 1 ( I * t / V)
An aircompressor needs much more air to raise the pressure when the pressure gets higher, at a higher pressure an airtank can deliver much more air in a second compared to a situation with low pressure.
As current flows the voltage drops, for a very small period a small difference in current dI results in a small drop in voltage dV.
Depending on the current (dI) and the time (dt) that the current flows the voltage drops with a portion (dV)

Or: dV = di/dt

1 watt is 1 joule per second.
Also : J/s = V * I

If for a very small period a current runs from a capacitator the capacitator looses an amount of energy equal to the current voltage (V) of the capacitator times the difference in current (dI)
the energy lost becomes : V * dI/dt
The total energy of the capacitator is the summation of all these small energy portions.
For really small intervals this becomes an integral :

¡ò V * dV = ¨ö * V©÷

Zero Cool said:
The transformers i have are 2KVA Medical Grade Isolation transformers. with quad primaries of 100, 110, 200, 240V and dual 120V secondaries.

My intent with these was to run them at half voltage. IE: run them from 120V on the 240V tap to produce dual 60V 500Va secondaries. this should get me/us +/- 85Vdc @ 1Kw correct??? If my calculations are correct. that should be good for about 400 watts including losses. But correct me if im wrong.

Hi Zero,
have you considered unwinding the secondaries to the desired voltage ?
That way you can keep the 2000va rating and it saves on weight.
Menno vanderVeen developes transformers for/with Amplimo and Plitron, he has written some articles on transformers.

a picture of 1 of the 4 separation transformers i use to clean wall juice, as Jaac is so hungry for heavy duty gear.

A farad or Two

Here is a picture of a box of Mallory capacitors
At 78000uF this is about a Farad (0.936 F)
At 50 Volts they contain 1170 Joules of energy.
In the previous example 11 times this amount is needed to obtain 14112 Joules.

(these are computer grades so these are a bit of the hefty side,
9 high by 3 diameter)

Cookies, anyone ?

Attachments

• 1 farad.jpg
    1 farad.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,319
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.