The Pass Monster? - Page 26 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th January 2005, 06:39 PM   #251
diyAudio Member

Hereís a quick status report on what Iím up to:

* We have a preliminary schematic for the output section so I purchased 3000 TO-3P transistors to begin matching. Tedious work by the way Ė Iíll need plenty of English Breakfast tea (cream and sugar, please).

* I procured eighteen aluminum plates, each 18Ē wide by 28Ēdeep by ľĒ thick. Each of the 6 monoblocks will consist of three chassis (see sketches below) and each chassis will contain one of these plates as the main structural mounting plane. Zero and I are fine-tuning the layout of the innards, and then Iíll have the plates CNC-machined.

* Iím about 1/3 of the way through re-forming the 240 26mF, 250V capacitors.

* I have everything kitted to build the power supplies except for the inductors.

All for now Ė I have three little boys that want to go play at the (sunny, warm) beachÖ

PS: Grey, Iím having trouble finding sockets for the power supply regulation tubes (see below). Do you have any spares?

-Casey Walsh
Attached Images
File Type: jpg passtube.jpg (83.6 KB, 950 views)
Old 29th January 2005, 06:40 PM   #252
diyAudio Member

Chassis sketch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis 002.jpg (58.5 KB, 889 views)
Old 29th January 2005, 06:43 PM   #253
diyAudio Member

Innards sketch...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chassis 002 (innards).jpg (88.1 KB, 851 views)
Old 31st January 2005, 03:14 AM   #254
diyAudio Member

I have a topology I'm semi-pleased with, at least on paper. I'll try to get to the soldering iron phase as soon as possible, but it's gotten to the point where I can only work at this stuff on the weekends, and sometimes not even then. I manage an hour or two on random weekdays...
For what it's worth, I'm planning on using a 1:1 isolation transformer and a voltage doubler to get the rail voltage. That way things aren't limited to "tube" transformers. Isolation transformers are fairly easy to come by.

Grey
Old 31st January 2005, 04:39 AM   #255
diyAudio Member

Default Swarmy's caps.

I just aquired 17 caps, they are 1900ufd at 450volts. Would that be easier than the bulk of smaller caps? Regards, Steve
Old 31st January 2005, 05:12 AM   #256
diyAudio Member

gearheaddruid: With all of those 600V, 75A industrial MOSFET's and your stack of 3.5KVA toroidal trafos laying around it seems you're in a position to build a few monoblock that you could rate in horsepower.

Regarding the capacitors in the sketches, each amp contains forty 26mF, 250VDC screw-terminal electrolytics, which adds up to over 1 Farad per amp. Each capacitor is 3" in diameter and 9" tall.

-Casey Walsh
Old 31st January 2005, 05:17 AM   #257
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmarmyDog
gearheaddruid: With all of those 600V, 75A industrial MOSFET's and your stack of 3.5KVA toroidal trafos laying around it seems you're in a position to build a few monoblock that you could rate in horsepower.

Regarding the capacitors in the sketches, each amp contains forty 26mF, 250VDC screw-terminal electrolytics, which adds up to over 1 Farad per amp. Each capacitor is 3" in diameter and 9" tall.

-Casey Walsh
When you say 26 mF do you mean to say they are 26,000 uF?

Regards

Anthony
Old 31st January 2005, 05:17 AM   #258
diyAudio Member

Casey,

The one on the left looks like it has the base of a 212, but what on earth are those valves?
Old 31st January 2005, 05:44 AM   #259
diyAudio Member

Default Capacitors.

Smarmy, my mistake, I wish they had taught me the Metric system better in grade school. I took that as 26ufd. Scratch the caps, I'll find some tube person to sell them to.
I am just starting on my kid's gaming room. Video projector, a custom switch system for all the games, BIG subwoofer, and of course some amp muscle. I am not building any real large amps right now as I need money for my other vice: going fast! Got a couple of projects in the garage I want done by spring. Regards, Steve
Old 31st January 2005, 06:07 AM   #260
diyAudio Member

Coulomb: Yes, I mean 26,000uF. I sípoze I should use the more widely accepted uF convention since Iíve seen many capacitors actually use the milli-prefix Ďmí for microfarads. Anyway, we have one Coulomb of charge per volt in our capacitor bank.

Audiousername: Sorry to mess with ya. The tube on the right is actually a CRT from some very old piece of test equipment. The one on the left I picked up at a garage sale many years ago because it looked cool. Iíve never actually designed any tube circuits, but if Grey is serious about trying a tube front-end for Le Monstre, Iím very interested in learning!

Gearheaddruid: So, whatís going on in the garage? My 1995 ZR-1 Corvette got ďupgradedĒ to a minivan when things became er, um, family-oriented.

-Casey Walsh

Hide this!Advertise here!