Aleph Heat Up Time?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No question about it. If you're using more massive heatsinks, it will take longer for them to reach thermal equilibrium.
I water cool two pairs of Aleph 2s and it takes two hours or more for everything to get warm. There's quite a bit of mass, and only 1200W to heat it.
(Ahem.)

Grey

I use a relatively small heat sink and a fan. The fan is temperature controlled, and doesn't start until the amp is at operating temperature. This way the amp heats up quickly.

If your water-cooled unit takes so long to heat up, why not install a thermostat?

I could, but it's a low priority with me. I've got so little time to spend on audio right now that I really try to keep stuff like that to a minimum.
My latest time waster began two weeks ago when a kid ran a red light and smashed my car to flinders. (Body work alone= $6000. The engine may need repairs also--separate bill. Fortunately, his insurance is covering things.) It has--so far--taken about a week of my time just to deal with various aspects of the wreck. Time I can ill-afford. That's on top of selling another story (yea!), but not having another one ready to go out (boo!). And wouldn't you know, a recording industry/audiophile guy wants me to design/build him a preamp. Just got that dropped on me Saturday...and oh, by the way, he's not in any hurry, but can I have a prototype ready by next weekend or so? If I don't go crazy in the meantime, it could be a lot of fun, seeing as how this fellow records all over the southeast (symphonic stuff...hot dog! also less formal things--need to convince him to do more jazz) and could potentially want a whole slew of things later on if he likes the line stage.
And that's in addition to all the other stuff I'm trying to deal with.
So thermostats will have to wait until I can get some of those elves that made the cobbler's shoes.

Grey

Um, pictures won't change the size. If they're 8" by 8" and you're only using four of them, you're on the verge of toasting your output devices. The original Aleph 2's were larger and already ran hotter than ovens. Trust me, 8" by 8" isn't that big when it comes to a 100W/channel class A amplifier, although you might be able to cut back to a 30 or 60W version.
Assuming that you're talking about using the same heatsinks, there's no chassis design that will make them dissipate more heat. Once they have unobstructed air flow, that's as good as you're going to get with passive cooling.
My previous question still stands. How many degrees/watt are the heatsinks rated for?
Try this: Run the amps for an hour or two, then measure the temperature of the heatsinks down in one of the crevices with the thermometer touching the metal. Report the number here.
If you're running a stock Aleph 2, meaning that you haven't reduced the bias or rail voltage, you're going to find that the amp is running scorching hot. Nelson's rule of thumb is that you should be able to rest your hand on the heatsink for several seconds before it becomes imperative to snatch it away. I tend to be a bit more conservative--I like to be able to leave my hand there indefinitely. I wouldn't be surprised to find that you can't bear to touch the heatsinks at all.
Fans are going to be your best bet.

Grey

Ok heat sink's..

Attachments

• heat.jpg
    heat.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 330
MEGA-Amp,

I got some sinks very similar to yours off ebay a while back. I don't remember the exact dims, but I'm not so sure they'll work with the 2's, which was my plan as well. Kind of like you too, though, being broke and busy limits the time to find out!

Hope you can get some more time to play with it again soon.

Sandy.

Submerge it in a 9" deep pan of distilled water with a fan blowing the steam off the top? Or more seriously, cut each HS into 3 - 8X2.6 heat sinks and make the amp 48" deep with 1 fet per sink. You'de be surprized how much more effective smaller heat sinks in a horizontal line are than tall squareish ones.
Or else, those little stubby fins will need forced air.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Now I'm a bit confused. please someone clarify.

Each of my monoblocks has 468 sq. in of flat heatsink surface, not counting the fin height, or base. I was under the impression that this would be fine, giving that the original Aleph 2 has i believe 384sq in of heatrsink, i may be wrong. At 468+ sq in, hopefully this is more than adequate?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.