Aleph 1.2 under sized transformer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm moving right along on building a pair of Aleph 1.2,the cases are about complete< the boards are stuffed etc.....but after continued research , I think the Plitron transformers I purchased are to small. They're 1500VA 50/50VAC, but yeaterday I read an article written by "the one and only" Mr. Pass...... "Power Supplies" @ www.passlabs.com. Nelson stated in that article that a class A amp. with 200 watts RMS would draw 1000 watts @ idle and need @ least a 3000 watt transformer. (my wording not Neisons). What should I do? Buy 2 new 3000 watt transformer or can I double up the 2-1500's and buy 2 more 1500's - would that work?

help
steve

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Im still in the process of building my Aleph 2s (very time consuming). Ive seen many people using 1500VA for the Aleph 2, and Nelson has recommended that as well. I believe you can get by with one 1500VA for your 1.2s, but you may run a little short, I may be mistaken. My approach is overkill, which I think works well for a lot of people. I think ideally youd need 2500VA or higher. I think it would be best to buy 2 more 1500VA. But since your case is nearly complete, it may be tough to fit another one those 27lb puppies in there.

Attachments

• power supply 30w soz-sm.gif
    power supply 30w soz-sm.gif
    26.4 KB · Views: 379
If you're putting 2 1500va transformers in, yes. And I would use 3 sets of caps. Each tranformer and bridge feed 1 set, and then the 1 sets of caps feed a third set through .2 ohm or so resistors making a CRC supply of sorts.

If you're replacing with one big 3000 VA transformer, adding the second bridge just puts 2 more diodes in series and drops an extra volt.

PS the Aleph 1.2 only draws 480 W at idle. (4A @ 120V rail to rail). I think you could squeak by with 1500 VA. The Aleph current source is modulated and only idles at 1/2 current. I think he was speaking of standard current source class A. But there is nothing wrong with overkill!

Hi,

keep in mind that the bigger transformers usually have more problems with (mechanical) hum and that you will need a very good softstart to turn it on.
Since they are also physically bigger the distance to the input boards will get smaller too so you´ll have to watch out for noise/hum problems.
1500VA certainly is enough for an amp idling at 500 watts.

Depending on the spec of the transformers (VA @ ambient temp) you could go as high as 750 watts. Remember it´s a class A amp so no big changes in current delivery are needed.

William

You can use 2 1500 VA if you want, but don't just parallel them, give them each a bridge so the one that puts out .5V more isn't trying to carry the whole load alone. The extra set of caps and resistors will further insure current sharing, But William seems to concure that the extra tranformer capacity it not needed.

I'm having a similar problem with my 2's. I have 680 VA trannys in them now and always had plus and minus 42 volts DC on the rails with the bias wide open(resistor removed from the PCB). Several months ago I added some 6mh chokes to both 2's and the rails are now sitting at plis and minus 40 volts DC. So it also time for me to order new toroids for these.... perhaps Santa will bring me new trannys this Xmas....

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.