Aleph 30

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
swede,

The Aleph 30 draws about 200W so one 300VA transformer for both channels is a little bit to small for my liking. I would use a >=500VA transformer. 2*18V secondary windings is good.

I use one 2*18V 600VA transformer per channel in my Aleph 30, the rails are at +/-25V. However one 600VA per channel is overkill.

I bought my toroid transformers at www.elfa.se

/Freddie

swede,

Perhaps these articles about power supplies is interesting to you.
http://www.passlabs.com/pdf/powersupply.pdf
http://sound.westhost.com/power-supplies.htm

From Rod Elliot's article.
"VA Rating - Class-A
The minimum VA rating suggested is 5 times the amplifier power. A 20W Class-A amp therefore needs an 100VA transformer, or 200VA for stereo 20W Class-A amps. Larger transformers will again provide a "stiffer" power supply, and this will be beneficial. Nelson Pass suggests the ratio should be 7.5 times the amp power [2]."

/Freddie

It's alive!

Hi again!

Now I have tried the first board on my Aleph30. It works! Thanks a lot to all of you! Especially to Panos (panos29) and (of course) Mr Pass.

How much bigger heatsinks should I get for each channel?

I didn't get it to go very loud (fairly loud, but not VERY), but I think that has more to do with me using an attenuator instead of a pre amp. I measured the input (from the attenuator) to be +/- 2 volts max.

It runs very hot, so I don't think the heatsink vill do. It gets almost too hot to touch after just 5 minutes.

Well, now I have to build a really nice enclosure.

See ya!

//magnus

Attachments

• 001_naked_aleph30.jpg
    001_naked_aleph30.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 1,689
Heatsinks

Hi all,

Now I got my monster heatsinks (big, huge, fat *** heatsinks), but my Aleph 30 still runs pretty hot. Actually I found them in a dumpster!

I read somewhere that 55 degrees C is the limit where it is no longer comfortable to touch a heatsink. Well I believe I run it hotter than that. I'll do some measurements on my amp, but I'm in the middle of packing all my stuff down in boxes. The next month or so will be amp-less, since I'm moving to Schwizerland on tuesday.

Isn't it so, that oscillations can heat up the output FET's pretty much? I'll scope my amp and see what happens.

I finally got two pieces of 300VA transformers (2x18 V). Will post pictures as soon as I can.

Best regards,
//magnus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.