What's the qualitative difference between Zen Lite Balanced and ZV7-R ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a double-take because they look so similiar except the Zen Lite Balanced (fig. 16, Zen Variations 1) seems to make-do without the constant current source in the bottom half of the curcuit.

Or, in another words, what does the additional cmplexity with the constant current source in ZV7-R (fig. 1, Zen Variations 7) buy?

Thanks.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Setting aside issues of efficiency, we note that the larger the
value of the resistor (and higher voltage of the negative supply)
the more it behaves like a constant current source.

For reasonably high values of this resistance (say 8 ohms or so)
the performance between it and a CCS are not that big as long
as you are running a good symmetric balanced input. If you
go to single-ended input, then the distortion goes up. This is
true even with a CCS since a CCS isn't often that perfect at the
higher frequencies.

As a result, a CCS is superior with a single-ended input, and
generally is a little bit quieter than the resistor, depending on
the supply. On the other hand, if you have a large value resistor
(16 ohms or more), a quiet supply, and balanced inputs, I think
the resistor sounds a little better. :cool:

Thanks for the reply, Mr Pass.

The evolution from ZV6 to ZV7-R consists of 'eliminating the negative power supply rail, and biasing with a constant current source'. These two changes were lumped and discussed as one in the ZV7 document.

Going back to the Zen-Lite Balanced circuit seem to indicate that the negative supply can be eliminated without bringing in the constant current source. It got me curious that's all. The Zen-Lite Balanced looked like ZV6.5 ; does that mean it's already Susy?

So, the CCS is optional, - useful for certain situations (i.e. single-end input, noisy supply, and to get slightly better efficiency), as your reply explained. Thanks!

Alex S said:

Going back to the Zen-Lite Balanced circuit seem to indicate that the negative supply can be eliminated without bringing in the constant current source. It got me curious that's all. The Zen-Lite Balanced looked like ZV6.5 ; does that mean it's already Susy?

Hello Alex,

The zen lite balanced isn't Su-Sy. In fact is possible bring in the CCS even with a single rail voltage , but Su-Sy requires the current source .Depending on the circuit it can be a resistor or a CCS.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.