Trannies 2x22V/400VA - and A5 Q

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

I soooo close to made a deal for one trannie 2x22V/400V - but even better - maybe I will get 2 of them ...

So: in first case - I intend to use it for A3 (I mean - 4 transistors/channel, no balanced input, ..) ... With little higher PSU voltage but nevertheless ...

But if getting 2 trannies - I'm playing with the idea to build two more A5-look-a-like monoblocks ... OK, a little bit lower voltage than original - but I could bias it a little bit harder - my speakers have nominal impendance 5R - so I guess the extra current will be good thing :D

What do you experts think about such A5 PSU?

Thanks!

MikeW said:
I built an Aleph 3 with 21 volt AC secondaries and four pairs of outputs per channel. Cranked up the bias to 3 amps and it sounds great. It has a C-R-C for filtering and is running +/- 26.5 volts.
Build it you will like it.:smash: :D

MikeW thanks for practical experineces! :D I'm quite sure I will build up one stereo A3 if getting only one trannie ...

But what about my second idea - if getting two trannies - "can" (OK, I know I can - I mean will it be a OK working A5 derivate) I make a sort of mono A5 (I allready have set of 2 mono excelent PCBs for A5) - OK with lower voltage than original - but with higher bias current - 'cause I have enough hetasinks to cool down around 200W/channel with no problems at all ..
As said - my speakers are 5ohm ones - and I guess it's better in my case to have higher current "capability" than voltage itself?!?

Oh btw - the thing is - I have 20 matched irfp240 and a set od two mono A5 PCBs by Kristijan (those I intend to use for A5) and home made stereo PCB for A5 taht was meant for A5 before I've got Kristijan's ones - which can be easilly converted into an Aleph with more/less output devices - so I thought it would be nice to spent those 8 transistors that will be left and rearange the PCB from A5 look alike to more A3 (no balanced input, less transistors) ......

Hmm - a little bit complicated story of mine I guess ... :(

Thanks!

Hehe - good one ;)

Well I think you know what my problem is - with those 4 heatsinks I have there are some problems with stereo chassis - but the trannie for A5 I allready have is only one ...

With those two I could separate it into two chassis and finnaly solve my "engineering problems" with designing the chassis itself ;) :D

Stabist said:
Yeah Leon I agree - more voltage. more bias, more heat ...

But in my case (for A5 mono) - less voltage+much more bias-->I hope more heat and better sound ;) :D

On your place I will try this. Why not ? More bias current, more speaker control and not much dissipation, becouse of lover power supply voltage. You have everything to make Aleph 5 to work, and test how it works with diffrent supply voltage and bias. Then make a decision what chasis will you build.

That's another point of view - to experiment with differenr setups, yes ...

Well - I just can't decided between a chassis looked like this ...

Attachments

• a5 02.jpg
    a5 02.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 108
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.