Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2004, 12:21 PM   #1
Stabist is offline Stabist  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Default Trannies 2x22V/400VA - and A5 Q

Hi!

I soooo close to made a deal for one trannie 2x22V/400V - but even better - maybe I will get 2 of them ...

So: in first case - I intend to use it for A3 (I mean - 4 transistors/channel, no balanced input, ..) ... With little higher PSU voltage but nevertheless ...

But if getting 2 trannies - I'm playing with the idea to build two more A5-look-a-like monoblocks ... OK, a little bit lower voltage than original - but I could bias it a little bit harder - my speakers have nominal impendance 5R - so I guess the extra current will be good thing

What do you experts think about such A5 PSU?

Thanks!
Old 31st August 2004, 01:59 PM   #2
Oil is offline Oil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I would also appreciate feedback on this, as I can only easily obtain tranformers with 25v secondary windings...
Old 31st August 2004, 03:52 PM   #3
zeno is offline zeno  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Oil
as I can only easily obtain tranformers with 25v secondary windings...

Do a google on Amplimo e.g..
2x22 is custom in their range. Swift delivery, paypal, excellent qualitiy.
There must be more suppliers out there who produce and deliver these trannies.

Marc
Old 31st August 2004, 04:05 PM   #4
MikeW is offline MikeW  United States
diyAudio Member

I built an Aleph 3 with 21 volt AC secondaries and four pairs of outputs per channel. Cranked up the bias to 3 amps and it sounds great. It has a C-R-C for filtering and is running +/- 26.5 volts.
Build it you will like it.
Old 31st August 2004, 05:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeW
I built an Aleph 3 with 21 volt AC secondaries and four pairs of outputs per channel. Cranked up the bias to 3 amps and it sounds great. It has a C-R-C for filtering and is running +/- 26.5 volts.
Build it you will like it.

MikeW thanks for practical experineces! I'm quite sure I will build up one stereo A3 if getting only one trannie ...

But what about my second idea - if getting two trannies - "can" (OK, I know I can - I mean will it be a OK working A5 derivate) I make a sort of mono A5 (I allready have set of 2 mono excelent PCBs for A5) - OK with lower voltage than original - but with higher bias current - 'cause I have enough hetasinks to cool down around 200W/channel with no problems at all ..
As said - my speakers are 5ohm ones - and I guess it's better in my case to have higher current "capability" than voltage itself?!?

Oh btw - the thing is - I have 20 matched irfp240 and a set od two mono A5 PCBs by Kristijan (those I intend to use for A5) and home made stereo PCB for A5 taht was meant for A5 before I've got Kristijan's ones - which can be easilly converted into an Aleph with more/less output devices - so I thought it would be nice to spent those 8 transistors that will be left and rearange the PCB from A5 look alike to more A3 (no balanced input, less transistors) ......

Hmm - a little bit complicated story of mine I guess ...

Thanks!
Old 31st August 2004, 05:10 PM   #6
kirc is offline kirc  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

More voltage, more bias current, more heat, better sound

This is this and two monoblock for better look
Old 31st August 2004, 05:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yeah Leon I agree - more voltage. more bias, more heat ...

But in my case (for A5 mono) - less voltage+much more bias-->I hope more heat and better sound
Old 31st August 2004, 05:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Stabist, i have one question. Why don't you sell all trafos (you have a lot of them) and by one big trafo (for example 5kVA) with few secundar windings, put them in the chasis and connect every your power amp from Gainclone to Aleph 5 ?

Old 31st August 2004, 05:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hehe - good one

Well I think you know what my problem is - with those 4 heatsinks I have there are some problems with stereo chassis - but the trannie for A5 I allready have is only one ...

With those two I could separate it into two chassis and finnaly solve my "engineering problems" with designing the chassis itself
Old 31st August 2004, 05:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stabist
Yeah Leon I agree - more voltage. more bias, more heat ...

But in my case (for A5 mono) - less voltage+much more bias-->I hope more heat and better sound

On your place I will try this. Why not ? More bias current, more speaker control and not much dissipation, becouse of lover power supply voltage. You have everything to make Aleph 5 to work, and test how it works with diffrent supply voltage and bias. Then make a decision what chasis will you build.

Hide this!Advertise here!