x soz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Besides the supersymmetry feedback won't the resistor from drain to source be also be providing schade feedback ?

Attachments

• SOX.png
    SOX.png
    51.3 KB · Views: 274
as allways ...thanks ZenMod for your time and answer.

i have allready a two variacs for starting each X-Soz.
the thought behind is, that Nelson says, that X-Soz sounds best at 40V supply rails.
for trying that out, i have to build a bigger version of X-Soz
i wish to avoid buying big resistors and expensive heatsinks
thats the reason for my question.
do i have to await for issues, when the resistors of light bulb changes, when it get hot?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dunno, you need to point me to Papa's post where he sez that, so I can figure out is 40V only change, Iq staying the same ?

anyway - you need to project voltages at drains and Iq, and rail voltage

say that you want to keep 8R loading resistance

then you "just" need to figure out how to arrange group of bulbs , having 8R at desired Iq

for that you don't need amp circuit - all you need is Variac and hefty xformer with rectifier, V meter and I meter

its here:
Zen Variations 6 | Pass DIY

he wrote:
Compared to the Zen Lite, it depended on the bias conditions. I used a Variac to go between the two 30V and 40V settings, and at the higher bias, it definitely was better than Zen Lite and approached the Aleph 30 for dynamic range, and I would say matched it overall on most material. Unfortunately, at 40 volt rails and 4 amps bias per transistor (640 watts/ch dissipation), it ran hot as hell, and my heat sinking was not up to the job over long periods. As a result, quite a bit of the time was spent at the lower settings. Alas, the lower setting is slightly inferior, and it’s quite easy to get spoiled. This was true of the original SOZ as well, so some things just don’t change.

best

and yes, i have to try it out, using volt and amperemeter
i think i use those halogen sticks, because the are smaller

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well, it looks that Pa simply increased PSU voltage, thus also increasing Iq

no other way than to plat with bulbs ....... contrary to fixed resistors, they will change resistance with both rail voltage and Iq

besides being flashy for eyes, sole benefit of using bulbs is that you need less to invest in heatsinking, but you're compensating that with time invested in chasing magic combo of Iq, rails,number of bulbs, type of bulbs ........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.