Amp Ideas for spare Donuts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
more SoZ?

For some reason, i'm beginning to like the idea of building the SoZ again for the simple reason that a variac can be used. (Lack of any voltage regulators)

Since most of the time we listen to music in the 1st watt, I can have the variac set at a low voltage. Not enough power? Just turn that dial!

Comments?

Here at my disposal, I have some pretty big heatsinks I can use.

BQ

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: more SoZ?

Super_BQ said:
For some reason, i'm beginning to like the idea of building the SoZ again for the simple reason that a variac can be used. (Lack of any voltage regulators)

Since most of the time we listen to music in the 1st watt, I can have the variac set at a low voltage. Not enough power? Just turn that dial!

Dial-a-Watt. You can have that big variac knob sticking out of the front panel next to one of those big Frankenstein on-off knife switches.:D

Use a large inductor as the entry point for your power supply filter. Something like an LC or LCLC. This will actually drop the rail voltage a bit if the coil is big enough. On the plus side, you will have a power supply that can deliver more current than an equivalent cap input filter.

Grey

GRollins said:
Use a large inductor as the entry point for your power supply filter. Something like an LC or LCLC. This will actually drop the rail voltage a bit if the coil is big enough. On the plus side, you will have a power supply that can deliver more current than an equivalent cap input filter.

Just be sure that the inductor have very low series resistance or it could nastily hot. Also note that if the front inductor fails for some reason the voltage will rise approximately 20%. Otherwise a very good solution.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.