Aleph Ono Pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• onofertig1-1.jpg
    onofertig1-1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,178
Here are some better pics from the main PCBs. The green foil caps are WIMA FKP2, the brown caps are SIMICs. The red ones are WIMA MKS02 foil caps. the big elco caps and big blue foil caps are the same as on the power supply PCB. The small purple elco cap are from sanyo oscon SG.

RE: Alpeh Ono Pic (Sound)

How does it sound? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well i am very satisfied with the sound. My turnable is a rega p3/2000. My preamp a rotel rsp-1066 and poweramp rotel RMB1075. My speakers are B&W 805N + B&W ASW2500 Subwoofer. I have heard Peter Gabriel "So" and Roxy Musik "Flesh and blood" for example. Both are 180g audiophil vinyls. The Rythmics and percussion (especially from the roxy music parts) are exellent. I also like the good separation of different instruments and the soundstage in deepth and wide. I have only a MM-System but i hope i can visit someone in the near future which has a MC-System on his rega turnable. He has also build the Aleph Ono and i have asked him for measurements on pcb-Power-Supply due to ripple measurements. I have also noticed that IMHO the Ono needs some time (nearby 30 minutes) to work 100%. In the beginning when you fresh switched the ono on i think the soundstage is a little less and also the instrumentation separation is slightly less. The difference is not big but i would say noticable.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
roddyama said:
Did you have to make any modifications to the boards/circuit? I have a set of boards waiting on my stack.

Hi Rodd,
I build my ONO with the same boards and did make a few changes. It worked fine as is, but I liked it better after I modified the design a bit. Here's a link describing my modifications:
http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27318

Here's a link showing my ONO in final form:
http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=355197#post355197

And one last tip - I had really good results using a Teflon cap in the 0.01uf spot in the RIAA feedback network. It seemed to make the biggest difference there.

---Gary

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
GaryB said:

Hi Rodd,
I build my ONO with the same boards and did make a few changes. It worked fine as is, but I liked it better after I modified the design a bit. Here's a link describing my modifications:
http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27318

Here's a link showing my ONO in final form:
http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=355197#post355197

And one last tip - I had really good results using a Teflon cap in the 0.01uf spot in the RIAA feedback network. It seemed to make the biggest difference there.

---Gary
Thanks Gary,

I thought that component selection would be an issue on this project. I'm still gathering parts.

The teflons you're using look like the Russian surplus caps being sold on eBay.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
roddyama said:
The teflons you're using look like the Russian surplus caps being sold on eBay.

Well they may look the same but the size is very different. The Russian teflon caps are 2-3 x bigger than the CRC teflons. The Russian caps look like they're built to handle a nuclear explosion.
It makes it difficult to fit on the ONO board, although not impossible. You just need to get creative and you have to be tolerant of moderately long leads from the capacitor to the circuit board.

I've got a few of these in my parts bin and I think I had them in an early implementation of the ONO. But the rest of the parts and circuit wasn't tweaked yet. Then I went on a bit of a parts swapping frenzy upgrading to TaN resistors and film/foil polystyrene caps and then to the CRC teflon caps. It wasn't done in the most controlled manner but it ended up sounding really good and I never went back to investigate if the russian caps would have sounded euqally good. And now its hooked up to the turntable and I'm not in a hurry to tear it apart again.

---Gary

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.