Aleph-X. Will it work? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2004, 04:44 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I would like to do the same, but first I'm making myself finish my Aleph 2+, APOX Preamp with built in active crossover, and Constant Current Mini Aleph headphone amp.

I have a huge heatsink that is like a honeycomb (but rectangular) for forced air that I'm thinking would make a great worlds most ugly AX. My new listening room front wall backs up to attic space that I was considering putting the worlds uglyest frankenamps in. I haven't suggested it to the wife yet because I'm sure she'll insist I do to. I was thinking about building shelves in the attic for the equipment so I didn't ever have to truely finish any of it. The only problem is 120 deg attic in the summer. I'll have make it all liquid cooled and pull the front end from a front wheel drive car for the radiator and electric fan to cool it all.
Old 1st August 2004, 04:51 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Jan

I think it'll work great. Maybe change the source resistors to 1.5 ohm or so. It should give you about +- 60 v out and about 15 watts RMS. At .59A bias, you don't need any current gain. So you could drop the bias a little if your heatsinks demand it.

Go build it and report back.
Old 1st August 2004, 10:13 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The numbers on the spreadsheet still look funny to me.
If you're looking for 1W into 120 ohms, you're only going to need roughly .1A and around 12V. In other words, you could build an original Aleph-X and be pretty much in the ball park. If you want to put a little extra into the circuit, 25V rails and 1A bias would be serious overkill for your headphones.

Grey

Hide this!Advertise here!