IXYS Bridges

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well my 2 Soundcrafstman PCR-800 amps seem to be down to one channel.

I'm now putting my Aleph 1.2 and Aleph 5 monoblock amps on the front burner of prioritys.

Im probably using a 500 VA transformer for the Aleph 5. Ive already got the LONO 2KVA transformers for my Aleph 1.2's

I would like to use the IXYS bridges for each amp, Mike Percy offers:
20A/600V
27A/600V
68A/600V
32A/1200V
20A/2000V

Which ones would be the best choice for the Aleph 5(20A/600V??)
Aleph 1.2 (68A/600V or do i need something like the 20A/2000V because of the size of the tranny)

Thanks,
Tom

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Tom
The service manuals tell us that a 25A/400V bridge is used in both Aleph5 and Aleph1.2.
The choice is therefore obvious.
Anything equal or above that value will do the trick.
The KVA value of the trafo has nothing to do with how much voltage the bridges can handle.
Strictly spoken a double or triple value of voltage and current of the secondaries would be enough.
To be extra sure and because of the low price of bridges, most designers take a high enough value.
There is of course the subjective point of view who tells us that every rectifier will sound different…

Some people don't have as much choice as you have :D

/Hugo ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.