Aleph vs SonofZen - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2001, 10:04 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Jam,

I am using two 5 1/4" drivers along with a horn tweeter in a D'Appolito (MTM) configuration. Its a kind of bookshelf design, built very well with integral sand-filled MDF stands. Their sensitivity might be about 87db or so. They detail very well. I have compared these home made boxes with B&W601, CDM1 and these matched the B&W CDM1 in almost every department. I use a subwoofer to extend the LF.

Notwithstanding the above, my query was in the interest of coming up with a design, fairly efficient (by Class A standards) but sounding excellent, not only subjectively but to some extent by figures too. Get the music as pure as you can, adding as less as possible. That is the motto. I have sent a query to Mr.Pass in this regard, ie., a more efficient Son Of Zen kind of thing. We may wait with great anticipation. Are there any conclusive ideas on this thread as yet?
Old 24th June 2001, 03:36 AM   #12
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

Sam,

You are really making things hard on me, but if you are going to use a subwoofer my choice would be the Son of Zen.
I would use current sourceing to improve the efficiency.

This is just my opinion but Nelson Pass could give us a more informed opinion. All said an done we are just trying to build a better mousetrap, he invented it.

Jam
Old 24th June 2001, 10:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Sam,
Basically, you've got two options if you're trying to increase the efficiency of a class A amp--use current sources, or use Nelson's Aleph circuit. It's the nature of the beast to be inefficient.
If your speakers are in the upper 80's as far as efficiency goes, you're likely to need at least 50W or so to achieve reasonable listing volumes, and that's assuming that you don't like to listen particularly loud.
My proposal about using an X front end to drive Aleph back ends would enable you to have a more efficient differential class A amp, as the X (like the SOZ) is a differential circuit, and the use of the Aleph topology for the rear would bring the efficiency up. Nelson's patent on the X topology is online at http://www.uspto.gov. Read it...it might give you some ideas.
Speaking as a fellow who has a pair of (DIY) Aleph 2s in his listening room, I don't think you're going to achieve much sonically by trying to to reduce the noise in the current source. Yes, Zeners are noisy in theory. In practice, it's not that much of a problem. By all means, tilt at windmills if you must, but I think you'll find that the time and effort might be better spent elsewhere.
If you want a straightforward schematic that you can use as a cookbook to build a class A amp from, I agree with Jam, go for the SOZ, as it's scalable and you are likely to need the power.

Grey
Old 26th June 2001, 09:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks everybody for your varied inputs. As Jam rightly pointed out, we are all trying to make a better mousetrap out of Mr.Pass' invention. The whole idea was to design a more efficient SOZ with a higher damping factor, PSRR etc., without audible sonic penalties.

Well, the good news is that I just received a reply from Mr.Pass with regard to a more efficient SOZ as follows: "One of these days, certainly."

Hence, we may all wait with abated breath for the Master Designer's unveiling.

Thanks again everybody.

However, GRollins proposal for an X front end to drive Aleph back ends could still be pursued by the forum, if it generates enough interest from talented people.

Hide this!Advertise here!