I need infos about Threshold SA series (can't afford the XA-200 yet ;-) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am offered a pair of SA-1 monos. They have VU-Meters, did all SA-1? I think SA-2 and 3 did not... Was it an option?
They must be 20 years old, can they be upgraded with new capacitors for important enhancement? Are there weaknesses or parts that die? I heard that the switches were sensitive? Are parts still possible to be found? Would I be better of buying a more recent amp like SA-4e or SA-6e?
Any info will be greatly appreciated! Best regards from Switzerland!

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You will want to consider replacing all the electrolytic caps
in the supply and on the boards. None of the values are
critical - just get something similar with the same or greater
voltage rating.

There's lots of techs in Switzerland who like to drink beer. Find
one of them. :cool:

Swiss thanks...

Hello Nelson,
First, thanks for the superfast reply, and congrats for all of your work, and beautiful X series which I drewl about, but I guess that will be for later! I would love to have XA160 or 200 driven by a Shanling SCD-T200 player, the blue leds and design will get along quite well! But I do not have time to rob a bank right now, so back to my SA-1 questions:

I found one pair offered on an auction, and it seems fine. Are they the only ones with VU-meters, or was it an option?

You talked about replacing caps, I have not opend an SA-1 yet, and guess there are 4 big caps, are there a lot more caps to replace? All of them if I can? Idea of a rough cost of parts?

For approx the same price as the SA-1, I can here get an Aleph 0s, an SA/3.9 e or an SA/350 e... Which would be your choice between the 4?

Sorry to harrass you and thanks again!

PS I appreciate the fact you spend time answering all these questions of all of us hifi enthusiasts! It is rare that one takes so much time to follow up vintage products, I know lots of amp manufacturers that would not even bother answering! So Cheers to Mr. Pass, a big name in big amps!

PSII If you were here I'd send you a beer keg... I am more into pure malts myself ;-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.