How do my output boards look?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is my first try at output boards for the Aleph X. The same board sould work for and Aleph as well. Each has 4 fets and I mirrored connections on both sides of the board with the idea that boards could be daisy-chained for higher output.

4 boards 16 fets
8 boards 32 fets
12 boards 48 fets
16 boards 64 fets

If I did it wrong please critique, I've got some pretty thick skin.

peanut

Attachments

• toutput.jpg
    toutput.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,215
Thick heatsink backplates really spread the heat. If you want to go to 3 or are really pushing the limits in terms of dissipation versus delta T then go for it, otherwise 4 should be fine.

It also depends a bit on the geometry of your heatsinks; if they are crazy long/wide then there is more incentive to even out the spacing.

Thanks guys, The pdf link dw8083 is great! I wanted to make an aleph 2 and that is compete. Since the software I'm using only lets me have a max width of 4 inches I can't add more fets. Otherwise I'd also make a 6 and an 8 fet version too.

Thanks also to tiroth, I didn't even think about that. I will be using sinks from Conrad, they should be fine since I am thinking of doing a 32 fet amp with each fet running at 5 - 8 watts. The 4 fet board should be fine.

I'd go with 4 myself assuming that good heatsinks will be used with the Aleph's. Its a trade-off between number of boards vs. ease of installation vs. cost of boards vs. thermal spacing etc.

I like your 4 device version and especially the ability to daisy chain them!! :cool:

punchpeanut,

Your board design looks great but a word of warning. Don't forget that you could have better than 10 amps flowing on some of the traces of your output board. I would be tempted to make the traces a bit wider to handle the large currents. It appears that in your design you have more than enough room to do so.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I just whipped up the above artwork in Autocad. The traces that carry high current are 0.5" wide and the board is set up to accept a 7.5mm pitch terminal block at each end. The board can accept almost any 1/4 watt metal film and almost any 5 watt resistor including Mills MRA-5. I hope that helps.

Use point to point with #12 solid wire for current. Here's my Aleph 2+ with turret terminals. They are insulated with teflon like a spark plug without the electrodes on the business end.

Damm. I can't find the pics. How do you put a link to a old thread?
Search under my name. The thread is titled "At last, My Aleph 2+"

Too bad you have to download all of pics one at a time

Thanks guys, I wasn't aware the amp would need such high current traces. My design was good up to about 6 amps, I thought that would be enough. I just thought boards would be easier for everyone to make, cleaner, neater, etc. I know most people were doing point to point, I just wanted to do something different.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.