PASSed History

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Nelson and NP constructors/owners.

Years ago I got to spend plenty of hours listening to the then SOTA Aleph 0 factory built mono-blocks on various SOTA speakers, preamps, cables and tons of different music of all styles, so I became well familiar with them.

The problem is that I am now well out of date with respect to the Pass designs, so my question is - How do the more recent designs compare sonically to the original Aleph 0 and N.E.W. examples.
I.e. what sorts of improvements have been wrought since then, and what are the then and now percieved deficiencies of these originals.

Thanks, Eric.

Forgotten Passt ?

What ? Nobody has heard more than one generation of Pass amps ?

"Please, Please, Please
i need some openions.... please give me feed back....
PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! PLEASE HELP! OHH PELLLEEEEAASE .............
I REALY NEED IT.......
please tell me what you think..... "

Eric.

Aleph or X?

Eric,

You are begining to sound like slicemaster (just kidding).

The sonics of each generation of Pass amplifier improved by several important ways. At various times I have owned different models in the line.
The 0 was probably the best solid state amp of its time and had a more conventional solid state sound. The Aleph was a depature in that it dared to compete sonically with tube designs. The X series was the ultimate accomplishment (to me anyway) of Nelson Pass, it did not quite sound as tuby(for want of a better word) as the Alephs.
The X-Aleph promises to provide the best of both worlds, tube type warmth in the midrange with better bass and a more defined high end.

Jam

Fond Memories

Hi jam,
Thanks for your info.
From memory I agree that the Aleph 0 was/is indeed a very fine amplifier.

I agree also that the 0 was a little laid back/tame in the highs, but I would also have no trouble living with one.
I am following the current 'ALEPH-X' thread with interest.
I understand the 'X' to be rather more energy efficient than the '0' - Is this correct ?.

I ask this because although the '0' sound is very nice, I am not quite able to reconcile with the end of the month electric power bill increase.
I have lived with my big hot-rodded stage amp (500w+500w) that sounds just big open clean and limitless at all levels, but when left running 12/7 adds significantly to the power bill.
Perhaps an 'X' is a nice compromise.

Regards, Eric.

Eric,

You are correct, to me the X is the best compromise since I use very inefficient speakers. Also the X has a standby mode where the input is muted and bias is shut off so as to conserve energy when the unit is not in use but comes up to speed quickly because the front end is always powered.

I also agree with you that the 0 sounded laid back but after a while I realized that it really wasn't but the high end lacked grain and grit so often confused with presence and extension.

Price wise the X-250 is one of the best values in high-end audio and to me the X-600 is the best amplifier period. But then I am biased.(Pun intended)

The Aleph-X promises to be even better if you don't mind the ineffiency and a max of 200w power. You owe it to yourself to try one of the x series amplifiers, there is ususlly no turning back.

Regards,
Jam

Hi Jam,
I also agree with you that the 0 soundedlaid back but after a while I realized that it really wasn't but the high end lacked grain and grit so often confused with presence and extension.
Agree with the pleasant lack of grain and grit.

The Aleph-X promises to be even better if you don't mind the ineffiency and a max of 200w power. You owe it to yourself to try one of the x series amplifiers, there is ususlly no turning back.

What is the efficiency, or lack thereof, of the 'X' ?
Can it be easily downsized ?.

No turning back - yeah thats the perrenial problem isn't it !
But then again I'm quite happy sitting here in my computer room listening to the radio-cassette in my bathroom.
And then go to work and listen to one of my other systems there, and then listen to repair customers' systems.
It all depends on mood and circumstance IME.

Regards, Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.