PassLabs Project Suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys.. I am somewhat of a Speaker DIY'er, and would like to begin my first amp project. I have been looking everywhere for quality information, and it seems that the Pass Labs forums seem to offer the most in support, as well as a large following. With that it mind.. I would love to attempt a Pass Labs project..

I do have a couple of questions:

1.) What project would you reccomend to an amp newbie?

I would like to construct something with a little kick.. No flea amps please. I am not sure if a tube or SS would be easier for a first project.

2.) Where is the best place to purchase as many (if not all) required components to complete said project?

I suppose I really want to build something that I can be proud of.. Like I am of my various speaker projects.

I have limited electronics experience ... primarily from speaker cross-overs.I have never made a pcb.. so I would probably need some help there - a kit would be ideal..

3.) is this possible??

Any suggestions or comments welcomed.

Jeff

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
Originally posted by JeffG
1.) What project would you reccomend to an amp newbie?
If you are going for Pass Labs stuff, you can buy pcbs from the PassDIY site for the ZenV4. It might be a good starter project:
http://www.passdiy.com/projects/zenv4-1.htm

2.) Where is the best place to purchase as many (if not all) required components to complete said project?

There is a digikey part list in the article. Digikey.com is a great place to buy components for building amplifiers. Mouser.com also carries stuff that digikey doesn't have, like Vishay-Dale resistors.

3.) is this possible??

It should be possible. There are many threads on this forum about building Pass Labs amplifiers, so you should find enough material to get started, then you can ask questions as you go along if issues come up.

--
Brian

Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
JeffG said:
GO ramblin' wreck!

Valdosta, GA here Tech class of '85

JeffG

Brian you're Gainclone looks promising.. Easy to build??

I am quite content with the gainclone, and haven't finished my Pass Labs projects yet (Aleph-X and Aleph). I hope to finish them in the future.

The gainclone kit will probably be a bit easier to build for your first project. I would recommend posting in the Chipamp forum on this, as I don't want to get accused of filling up the Pass Labs forum with discussion on Gainclones. :)

I enjoyed my time at Tech, and just graduated this past December with a BS in EE. It feels good to get out, but I do miss it at times.

--
Brian

If you want a little more power than Zen v4 (25 watt I beleave), you best can build an Aleph. Depending on your budget a Aleph 5, 4 or 2 (increasing power and cost).

Drawback is there is is not such an detailed description (apart from the service manuals http://www.passlabs.com/aleph.htm ), but there is enough info here. Also they are not difficult to make.

A pcb can be bought from Kristijan http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip/ ), they are very good and come with a partslist an some drawings and info how to put it together. Or you could make you own pcb, some people have published a layout for it.

I know enough people who don't know much about electronics, but still were able to build an Aleph. Finding some nice parts is part of the fun.

Little suggestion....

Hello JeffG...
Heve you decided what you want to build...?
Or even you have built one of those ZENs or Alephs..?

If you're still can't decide, which ZEN or Aleph project will you build, I have a little suggestion for you ;)
Since you are a newbie in active electronics circuit, so (I guess, too) you should learn as much as possible about those MOSFET class A circuit from passdiy site.
You should download as much as possible about the ZEN articles, the Alephs manual, as well, and learn about the'nature' of those class A.
After you done so, you will be more confident to choose the project that not a flea to you, but big enough to be handled by you..... :cool:

The result would be so fun, educating and the most important, functional without problems..... :angel:

See you....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.