Aleph Ono smd version

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have made Ono once and I am still pretty happy with it. Now however I would like to make a new one and this time I'd like to make smd version. The trouble with smd components is power handling, or the lack of it.

So what components are there which needs to be non-smd? SMD resistors are usually 1/8 or 1/10W and transistors/fets around 1W.

Quick look at the schematics shows that Q7,Q8,Q18,Q19 and their source resistors might require better power handling. Maybe R42,R66,R40,R57 and Q26,Q26 also. Psu is left alone.

I was thinking about using jfets from vishay and mosfets from irf or vishay. Any opinions about them?

My old version: http://netti.nic.fi/~tfrisk/riaa.html

Surface Mount ???????

Since you want a small package right. You will still need some large flim caps. Also, don't believe that the PCB should be issue in performance at the speeds we are talking about. So unless you doing some high speed stuff going surface mount will buy you any much at all.

I think you would be better going to a point to point wiring on the input high impedance elements of the design.

Good Luck :)

I know some of those those caps have to be big and bulky. If I remember right, up to 220uF could be found in smd. What reasons I have for smd version? Shorter routes and lower parasitics and thus lower losses.

I have already made Aleph X and P1.7 with smd components included and they have been working fine. I'd like to make very compact version of Ono which would have connectors directly soldered to the pcb. PSU naturally external. I will start designing quite soon, lets find out what the results will be.

Surface Mount

I have not seen a polypropylene capacitor that a surface mount and I would not want to use an electrolytic cap in place of a polypropylene or polystyrene. As for as the parasitic go I have built circuits that operate in the 100’s MHz using standard convention parts. As for as electrolytic you can use some Black Gates or Some OSCON for surface mount. Have said that, BG’s and OSCON work best on power filtering not as a small signal cap.

A consideration to make to a PCB is the type of solder mask; the best solder mask is no solder mask as the mask can have the parasitic capacitances that could effect high impedance circuits. So the only solder mask to use is a Dry Film and that run up the cost of you pcb. So you can use standard components and raise the input pins and have wire that part of the circuit point to point.

I am not fool enough to put electrolytics on the signal path, do not worry :). I already have 10uF polyester caps and small polyester caps could be found on local store. The only mystery are those 220u caps on MC circuit, any idea what to use? Electrolytic or tantalum, polypropylene costs a fortune.

Yes, yes, big caps will keep the overall size big. But remember that there are resistors, over 50/channel so replacing them with smaller will reduce the size. This is a challenge I set to myself, nothing more specific behind all this.

What are the opinions about Vishay components? They have quite well specified double packed n-jetfs and other active components. Their noise figures are bit higher than 2SK170's but other values are better.

What it comes to p2p, I can't stand it in my own projects. It has its own advantages but I prefer good pcbs. And yes, jewilson, pcb related issues are advanced science and diy requires some compromises like using common FR4 board.

If you should use a BG for the 220uf however they don't sound good as polypropylene or polystyrene. Have said that 220uf polypropylene or huge and not all polypropylene or are created equal. To make thing a little more confusing BG's will sound better that Solen's, Wima and other low cost polypropylenes. Also the copper foil polypropylene or polystyrene get expensive.

Vishay bulk metal films SC102's are great if you want to use 1% metal film they also have very good resistors.

It come down to the parts all the parts, and if you so concerned about parasitic skip the solder mask. I am not say the solder is always bad however in can be a problem.

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.