Any new news on FirstWatt??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I've been out of it for awhile, but last I can find Nelson was hinting that

1) we wouldn';t learn anything new from the designs since the Aleph X has been thoroughly analsyzed and yet

2) we'd be very very surprised.

On a possibly related note, I just saw a very nice design he posted in another thread for a Supersym. GC...

--rif

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The F1 is in production, and we are listening to samples.
All the issues are worked out, and there will be 100 made
for sale.

At this instant I am awaiting a pair of Lowther PM4's which
have the potential for being the most perfect drivers to
mate with the amplifier. Currently the Lowther DX55's hold
this distinction - the speaker most improved by F1's.

As soon as they get here, we will perform a day's worth of
evaluation and then we launch.

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
In these tests, sealed boxes. We will shortly also be
testing them in some nice horns which Chris and Matt
(the twins) will finish next week. They are 30 Hz taper,
10 ft high, and have a 30 sq ft mouth each. The wood
is Baltic Birch, and they are looking good.

Of course they'll require all new network calibration.

After that, Voigt pipes. :cool:

Nelson Pass said:
In these tests, sealed boxes. We will shortly also be
testing them in some nice horns which Chris and Matt
(the twins) will finish next week. They are 30 Hz taper,
10 ft high, and have a 30 sq ft mouth each. The wood
is Baltic Birch, and they are looking good.

Thank God you qualified that with "in these tests." Using Lowthers in sealed boxes can get you tarred and feathered in some places. :)

Ten feet high? Hmmmm. Don't think that'd get along too well with my eight foot ceilings. :)

se

I want to hear them!

I think my speakers are a perect match for the new Firstwatt amplifier. They worked very well with a Zen V4 and Mini A.
I am using a Le Monstre right now. It is sounding excellent. My speakers are 5' tall folded TQWT's with 15 ohm PM2A. I have PM7A and PM6A, but in these cabinets the 2A has a little stronger highs to balance the big bass.
I just set up my digital RS SPL meter and the first Stereophile CD to check frequency response in room.

12' from speakers,meter same height as driver 43" centered between speakers, both channels playing

1KHZ 76 dB
200 72.5
160 72
125 68
100 69
80 74
60 72
50 69
40 66
30 65
20 58

Some of this is room related, so measured again.

10' from speakers, meter height 36', centered between speakers with both channels playing.

1KZ 73.5 db
200 77
160 73
125 62
100 64
80 70
60 70
50 71
40 69.5
30 65
20 58

These numbers show that I am getting good output 40 Hz or so and fair to 30. The RS meter is susposed to be a little low on the bottom also.
How long before details on the F1 is released?

George

Naming

When I saw you casually refer to the first amp from First Watt as F1, I thought it quite appropriate (and enjoy the analogy). I'm a huge Formula 1 fan and have seen a number of sites using 'F1' shut down via copyright problems. Not that you haven't researched it, I was just saying something I've seen.

In my stomach, I felt that F1 via Nelson Pass is probably the same for me as F1 via the FIA. That is a huge compliment for those who don't enjoy what Formula 1 is to me.

Sandy.

Re: Naming

Sandy H. said:
When I saw you casually refer to the first amp from First Watt as F1, I thought it quite appropriate (and enjoy the analogy). I'm a huge Formula 1 fan and have seen a number of sites using 'F1' shut down via copyright problems. Not that you haven't researched it, I was just saying something I've seen.

It's crazy. Just look at how the World Wildlife Fund was able to force the World Wrestling Federation to change its name because they share the same acronym.

On the other hand (wow, some lady on TV was saying the exact same thing as I was typing that), Tag McLaren had an "F1" line of electronics.

se

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Lowthers, 10 feet high?? I thought the new line was targetting the mid-market. Or maybe this is mid-market and I don't know it since canceling my stereop**le subscription years ago out of anger :)

What's the price point -- I seem to remember (or was it a dream!) that they would be in the $1200-$1300 range. Care to release a few specs/pix?

Nelson's helpers, Chris and Matt (aka Arson and Sterno) are doing an absoulutely spectacular job on the horns. Nelson forgot to mention, the twins have never done cabinet work before.

Something about being too young and innexperienced to realize the difficult nature of the task at hand.

Cyclotronguy

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Considering that there will only be 100 F1's available, they'll
probably be gone before anyone notices. ;)

Regarding the most ideal speaker, so far the best examples
are Lowthers, but I've seen some improvement in all high
efficiency wide range drivers - the more sensitive, the better.

So far all the data is on sealed boxes of various sizes, but
Chris and Matt should finish the horns next week, and we are
also planning on including the Lowther Medallion enclosures
as rear loaded horn examples. I expect rear horn loading to
require some adjustment of the RC parallel loading networks,
but otherwise no problems.

We will launch when my PM4's arrive and after I get back from
Sea Ranch. At that time I will also post an article on the results
of all our driver tests, and I'm sure you will find it interesting.

:cool:

ver-ry int-er-est-ing indeed. :)

I have a pair of Dunlavy SC-IIs which are about 91dB efficient, with a relatively steady impedance curve, albeit a low one. I don't typically play them loudly.

Still, I'd like to try one of these amps out. Should I look at the local Pass Labs dealer when the time comes?

(Worst case I'll start building a Voigt Pipe and wait 'til your article comes out.)

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.