Any new news on FirstWatt?? - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2004, 06:36 PM   #101
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
Current amps worls best with drivers with inherent mechanical damping -- lowthers are an example.
Hmmm. Looking at the specs for Lowthers, they seem to be decidedly underdamped mechanically, with mechanical Qs (Qms) ranging from 2 to 4 depending on the model.

Taking the 8 ohm PM6C as an example, with an 80 ohm source impedance, the driver's Qts goes from a decidedly overdamped 0.272 to a decidedly underdamped 2.6.

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2004, 08:45 PM   #102
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
PMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Prague
Seems you got my "advantages" serious, Steve
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2004, 09:45 PM   #103
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member
 
jam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auburn, CA, USA
Steve,

You are off on a tangent again .....................you need a simple speaker.........Zen speaker, that is.

http://madlabs.info/simple_speaker.shtml

Regards,
Jam
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2004, 10:43 PM   #104
diyAudio Member
 
enochRoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
This is what you do with 10 watts.
NICE!! of course...i have always wondered what happens with that rear wave after travelling through an additional 12 feet of horn (as in the yamamuras, goto, western electric, etc). are there serious phase issues? i was quite interested in trying to recreate a western electric 15a horn at one point...but gave up the project after reading discussions about the time delay in such a long horn when being paired with a high and/or low range driver(s)! when listening to music...is this noticable?!
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2004, 10:56 PM   #105
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by jam
You are off on a tangent again .....................you need a simple speaker.........Zen speaker, that is.
Zen hell, that's right out of McGyver!

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2004, 01:38 AM   #106
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member
 
jam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Auburn, CA, USA
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2004, 05:07 AM   #107
The one and only
 
Nelson Pass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by enochRoot
i have always wondered what happens with that rear wave after travelling through an additional 12 feet of horn (as in the yamamuras, goto, western electric, etc). are there serious phase issues? i was quite interested in trying to recreate a western electric 15a horn at one point...but gave up the project after reading discussions about the time delay in such a long horn when being paired with a high and/or low range driver(s)! when listening to music...is this noticable?!
You'll never get anywhere if you listen to the "experts" who
say it can't be done but haven't tried it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2004, 05:36 AM   #108
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
You'll never get anywhere if you listen to the "experts" who
say it can't be done but haven't tried it.
Huh? Who is saying what can't be done? I didn't see anything along those lines. What's being claimed can't be done?

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2004, 07:49 AM   #109
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member
 
PMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Prague
Quote:
Originally posted by jam
Steve,

You are off on a tangent again .....................you need a simple speaker.........Zen speaker, that is.

http://madlabs.info/simple_speaker.shtml

Regards,
Jam
Very simple, that's why it should be the best.

I have 2 questions:

1) does the type of the plastic party type cup matter,
2) where can I get that 22-30 gauge magnet wire.

Thanks for your responses beforehand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2004, 04:03 PM   #110
diyAudio Member
 
enochRoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass


You'll never get anywhere if you listen to the "experts" who
say it can't be done but haven't tried it.
i hear ya! *generally* i let my ignorance be my guide

BUT...you still didn't answer my question i'm assuming that they do sound great, and technical issues just fade away?!
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An another way to Firstwatt F1? Idefixes Pass Labs 5 1st February 2012 08:40 PM
There's good news and there's bad news Magnetmaz The Lounge 14 2nd January 2012 06:39 AM
FirstWatt.com Rory Christ Pass Labs 121 31st May 2004 07:02 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:12 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2