Threshold 400a manual/schematic needed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
harhaug,

I have a factory schematic for this and the 4000A. This is the second request to come up in the last week or so. I don't have the facilities to scan files so I have put these and others into the snail mail to Mr. Pass. He should have them in a few days. Perhaps he would be kind enough to post them.

Graeme

400A schematic

Mr. Pass,
I also have a 400A schematic. I reversed engineered the main
circuit board along with the power output stage board/heasink
assembly of one of the channels some time ago.

It shows all the components.(I think)
It has all the resistor values, some of the semiconductor numbers
and some of the capacitor values.

Perhaps you could fill in the unknown electrolytic capacitor values.
I am planning to change the electrolytics soon in my 400A.

I can copy it and send it to you.

Tom

lumanauw,

The 4000A was (is) an amplifier in the best Nelson Pass tradition. It was very robust with a large power supply and lots of output devices. It sounded very dynamic and relaxed. Compared to the later Stasis two it had a bit of a darker sound. The Statis sounded a bit drier and more detailed in the midrange. These are very small nits. however. I should point out that it's been a long, long time since I've heard either one.

To answer your question, I believe that the cascodes contribute a great deal to the dynamic sound of these amplifers. I am a fan of cascoding.

There are two additional things about this design that should be mentioned. First: note the absence of VI limiters. This was the first high power commercial power amp I had come across without this feature. I had Dayton Wright XG8 MkIII speakers (modified ala the NP app note). The 4000A was easily the best sounding SS amplifer I had heard driving them.

Note too that there is no output inductor - also the first time I had seen this in a large commercial design.

Graeme

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Some of what you may think of as cascode is the series
output stage, which I suppose technically is, but not in
the usual sense, as it's function was simply to divide the
voltage across the output devices by about 2 to share
the dissipation and keep the output devices well away from
the second breakdown region of BJT's.

By the way, if you want to see the massive output stage of the
Stasis 1, take your browser to www.passlabs.com/np/Stasis 1.tif

:cool:

hello to everyone!

Today I've bought a 400a amp; realy cheap price; well, one chanel is silent; i'm planning to rejuvenate both! (i've allready succeded with a stasis II recently)

I seem to like NP stuff!

BTW, thanks for the 400/4000 drawings;

question : how much bias for optimal operation?

any info welcome!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.