x-BoSoZ volume on in or output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi...
Well I am building X-BoSoZ by Henrik schematic...now I'am thinking of buying series attenuator for it and have some questions...

I remember reading some where that Nelson Pass likes putting pot. on the output , after everything is said and done...but in Henrik schematic it's on Input...Should I use it on input or output ???
I mean...probably I would need to use on input any way , but for volume control , should I use attenuator on input or output ???

and If I'am gona use it on output for which value I should go ??? In BZL stage Mr. Pass wrote 5KOhm...

Thanks

Hi,

I´m using 2 x 2k2 as output series resistors. You have to calculate the value for the stepped attenuator in between to get the steps you want. Using a standard log pot doesn´t work because it is way too sensitive at low values and you will always have one channel that´s still playing when the other one is already off.

William

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, so you have output resistors in there, then short between the outputs. Yoke & I are probably using stepped attenuators, which appear to be the best for this approach, as the channel tracking is very good.

Now I guess our problem is as you say- what are good values to get a reasonable range of control with say 24 steps with this shorting approach?

Hi,

well the first step needs to be shorted (for silence) The last one open (for max. output). In between I would go for 3dB steps top down and maybe 6dB for the last 2 or 3 steps.
If you know wich output resistors you will use you can just calculate the value of the shorting resistor for any given dB value.

William

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.