Any information and schematic about diy Pass Lab XA 200 power amp and X 0.2 pre amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HBarske said:
If you browse the Pass forum, you will find any information needed for building amplifiers at least very close to those models. The only "secret" still seems to be Wayne's volume control...

The volume control is not really that secret ... I was able to finally figure it out. Besides, it is claimed that it is patent pending - if you can find it (I did not), you know.

However, I think that for DIY, one should use relays. My measurements support this.

For production, you get into volume costs which are high (not to mention potential maintenance and warranty issues with moving parts). However some brands use relays to good effect: Chapter, Halcro, old Pass.

Petter

HBarske said:
If you browse the Pass forum, you will find any information needed for building amplifiers at least very close to those models. The only "secret" still seems to be Wayne's volume control...

the Aleph-X has been told to be very close to the XAs (by Mr Pass himself), but I am not aware of something close to the X0.2 on this forum

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Petter said:
However, I think that for DIY, one should use relays. My measurements support this.

I would not argue the point, although we get excellent
numbers off of Wayne's volume control - about 10 times better
than anything commercially avaiable in silicon.

It wasn't the cost that drove us from relays, in fact they are
less expensive IMHO, but you would be amazed at the number
of complaints about switching noise. In this rare case we chose
to be market-driven. :cool:

pass:/ doesn't like to be driven by market - would rather do the
driving.

IMHO, threads like these could and should be removed from this forum.

Unlike most amplifier designers, NP has been sharing his knowledge and designs with the enthousiast for a long time, and still does.
Unlike most amplifier designers, his designs have been truly innovative and freely available for diy purposes once they have reached commercial retirement.
In my opinion, Pass Labs hands out more details of current production models than others may view wise, in terms of protecting ones commercial rights.
On top of that NP is willing to hand out even more pointers relating to production models as a challenge to the intellectual daring.
Products as the XA200 and the X0.2 are what Pass Labs makes money with.

Nelson Pass stated often enough that he has entrepeneural talent, 2004 shows 30 years of commercial wisdom.
Clear enough that he is not going to hand deliver blueprints of current production models, if he had they would be on PassLabs or PassDIY.
Asking for it here is offensive and a provocation for theft.

Someone who desires to build amplifiers like these should read what is handed out on a platter and do some thinking themself.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
:rofl:

Attachments

• stripes.jpg
    stripes.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 385
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.