PassLabs power filtering???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It's kind of six-of-one-half-/-half-dozen-of-another. CLC
gets the nod when you are trying to be efficient. CRC is
an interesting alternative when you can burn the watts.

We do both, and we make up our mind for each product,
based on all the considerations you can imagine. :cool:

Brian Donaldson said:
An inductor with enough inductance to smooth 120 hz and carry 10A DC continuous without smoking or saturating is not a small, pretty, or cheap thing. A few volts lost in a resistor is a much cheaper (and more compact) solution.

I have a 1mH, 20 A inductor from a Trygon power supply -- could be used as small boat anchor (weighs 6kg). Anyone interested ?

Brian Donaldson said:
An inductor with enough inductance to smooth 120 hz and carry 10A DC continuous without smoking or saturating is not a small, pretty, or cheap thing. A few volts lost in a resistor is a much cheaper (and more compact) solution.

Well, I wind my own so no big deal. A 2.2mH air core inductor capable of 650W is 1.8kilogram. After all thats not so bad.

...or at least in my book its ok, my latest project is 2 pcs of 2*80mH air core 650W :bigeyes: as in 20 kilograms a piece.

The reason for the initiate question was to find out if I had overlooked anything. My assumption was the same as the one in the quote.

Magura:)

Sorry, my post may be silly to you experienced people:

Couldn't such a cirquit replace a coil?

That would be really :cool:

Regards
Tino

Attachments

• inductor w-o coil.jpg
    inductor w-o coil.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 181
Your cap multiplyer (I think that's what it's called) may be more difficult to impliment than you think. You'll need a hella transistor to drop a few volts at 8 amps or so with reliability. Makes the resistor look like a better option to me. I concidered a source follower regulator for my Alephs, but after thinking it through, I didn't want to add enough sinks to keep the temp down, Instead, I'll run vitrious 50w resistors.

Magura,
Don't forget to factor temp rise in your coils, For a large Alephx, there's a lot of heat slowly built up in the core of a large inductor. I'm not comfortable making a coil that runs hot.

Nelson Pass said:
... It's attraction
stems mainly from its resonant neutrality, which I think in
some cases is worth the trouble.

Isn't this resonance mostly avoidable by selecting the right values?

I seem to recall that one of the main clues is to have more capacitance after the inductor than before it, to avoid ringing when the load changes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.