Zen V4 power supply question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I almost finished building my Zen V4. I have a hard time understanding the Unregulated Power Supply schematics on page 5. My questions are:

1. If I run dual-mono (1 transformer per channel), do I still need 2 bridge rectifiers per channel? or, can I get rid of the bridge rectifier that's connected to "other ch"?

2. If I only need one bridge rectifier per channel, can I connect the ground leads from the electrical outlet to the chassis?

Thanks for the help!

The second bridge rectifier is used as a ground loop breaker and the amplifier will work without it by by connecting the power supply ground to the chassis and earth ground to the chassis but don't go crying about hum when you connect it to your preamp.

You do not need two bridge rectifiers per channel. Your hookup should look like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

kilowattski said:
The second bridge rectifier is used as a ground loop breaker and the amplifier will work without it by by connecting the power supply ground to the chassis and earth ground to the chassis but don't go crying about hum when you connect it to your preamp.

You do not need two bridge rectifiers per channel. Your hookup should look like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think the connection of the capacitors to ground is not right. With the ground connections as shown the third bridge rectifier is bypassed.

George

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Panelhead said:
I think the connection of the capacitors to ground is not right. With the ground connections as shown the third bridge rectifier is bypassed

Quite right. There are three grounds shown, and two look
the same, the left and right channel grounds. They are not the
same, but connect on either side of the diode bridge and of
course at the preamp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.