Aleph X from KRISTIJAN KLJUCARIC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While Grey's circuit embodies the original idea behind Nelson Pass patented differential circuit, that circuit is not the clone of the XA production amplifier. KK amp is nothing more than another variation on the theme, which I am sure will perform normally after some minor tweaks.

I have already made public my objection with regard to KK whole idea of taking a patented circuit, making a board for it (abeit a well laid out board) and retailing it on his site for 50 UDS/each.

Kristian is a nice guy and keeps a low profile on this site, that being said, I haven't seen a disclaimer or an endosment of this board outlet point from Pass Labs. Until such issues are resolved, I strongly discourage people from buying anything from Kristian.

grataku said:
While Grey's circuit embodies the original idea behind Nelson Pass patented differential circuit, that circuit is not the clone of the XA production amplifier. KK amp is nothing more than another variation on the theme, which I am sure will perform normally after some minor tweaks.

I have already made public my objection with regard to KK whole idea of taking a patented circuit, making a board for it (abeit a well laid out board) and retailing it on his site for 50 UDS/each.

Kristian is a nice guy and keeps a low profile on this site, that being said, I haven't seen a disclaimer or an endosment of this board outlet point from Pass Labs. Until such issues are resolved, I strongly discourage people from buying anything from Kristian.

So Paolo, Kristijans board is based on the Pass Labs design which has not been opened to the DIY community, where as Grey's design was a design path of his own, independant of Pass Labs?

Kristijan clearly marks and etches the boards with Pass labs Clone branding, but of course means nothing if Mr. Pass has not given public rights to the design.

I was considering buying a pair of Kristijans boards even though I already have a Dozen of Grey's boards from Chad.

Hummm

Anthony

I don't really see fundamental differences between the basic Rollins circuit and the KK.Some resistor value differences really.
Should sound the same.
However I think Chads boards are better because they are double sided/plate thru and more compact.The quality is also probably a little better than the KK boards that I have seen.

Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it Kristjan's boards are all marked as Pass Labs Clone and he claims to sell them at cost therefore making no profit. His boards are very high quality also. Being honest, I would not be being an Aleph P right now if it were not for his boards. I don't see much difference between his boards and a group buy since he is not doing this as a commercial venture and not making a profit. Other than some component values I really do not see much difference between the Grey Rollins version of the Aleph X and Kristjan's Board.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
kilowattski said:
Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it Kristjan's boards are all marked as Pass Labs Clone and he claims to sell them at cost therefore making no profit. His boards are very high quality also. Being honest, I would not be being an Aleph P right now if it were not for his boards. I don't see much difference between his boards and a group buy since he is not doing this as a commercial venture and not making a profit. Other than some component values I really do not see much difference between the Grey Rollins version of the Aleph X and Kristjan's Board.
:cop:
Kristijan is selling his boards for a profit (~$50ea.). He currently is selling the Aleph-X board which its design in based on Nelson Pass and Pass Labs patented IP. Kristijan did not ask for or receive permission to use this IP in a product for sale.

Kristijan was asked to either remove the boards from his site or remove the link to his site from his profile. He chose to do neither and hasn't been back to the forum since (about 2 months).

roddyama said:

Kristijan is selling his boards for a profit (~$50ea.). He currently is selling the Aleph-X board which its design in based on Nelson Pass and Pass Labs patented IP. Kristijan did not ask for or receive permission to use this IP in a product for sale.

Kristijan was asked to either remove the boards from his site or remove the link to his site from his profile. He chose to do neither and hasn't been back to the forum since (about 2 months).

Has Pass Labs or Nelson Pass made any comment on this forum in regards to Kristijan's Aelph X boards?

Regards

Anthony

After reading Nelson Pass's statement again now I am really confused. On Kristjan's site it says "Professional made printed circuit boards are available for this amplifier at cost". I took the phrase "at cost" to mean no profit. Maybe I am wrong. Has anyone proved that Kristjan is making money on this. I am a firm believer in not abusing Nelson Pass's generosity. If he does indeed abuse Nelson Pass's policy I will look elsewhere when I look for PCB's. I am not one to bite the hand that feeds me.

:att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n: :att'n:

LET ME RESTATE FOR THE RECORD ONE MORE TIME:

Coulomb,
you can buy whatever board you like, with the AlephX board that I gave to Chad and that was iteratively refined by the two of us for about a month, I made NO MONEY, ZERO money. I just got a bunch of super cool boards for real cheap. That was, and remains my idea behind the group buys.
In fact, I was the one that wrote up the first wiki sign up form for the first bulk purchase. If I was more ambitious I could claim I invented the bulk purchases on DIYAUDIO.com.

I insisted that Rodd do the first CARDAS purchase, he was very reluctant for fear of loosing money, the rest is history.
A lot has changed between then and now. My original idea with the bulk purchases was to give the audiophile their cake and allow them to eat it, too. Bottom line the thing was to be done at cost. Alot has changed since then and now I find myself to be in agreement with the mods for the WRONG reasons. The bulk purchases are now handled mostly by mods, and they are no longer at cost (see Rodd second Cardas purchase), and the proceedings are used to finance DIYAUDIO.com

I have never seen such veement display of disapproval of someone's practice by two mods like I am seeing here. My guess is that that the mods are ****ed because they are not getting a cut from Kristian. That's as simple as that.

For these reason looking at what PA did and what Kristian is doing I would be temped to say: Go Kris!!! But that would be disrispectful of Nelson Pass.

SY,

What is going on with this moderator/comerce issue? It seems that we keep going around in circles...........Gratku raises some good points and this lack of direction will hurt the forum.

Regards,
Jam

Attachments

• bgr0153l.jpg
    bgr0153l.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 799
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.