Aleph X from KRISTIJAN KLJUCARIC - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2004, 11:48 PM   #11
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by kilowattski
Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it Kristjan's boards are all marked as Pass Labs Clone and he claims to sell them at cost therefore making no profit. His boards are very high quality also. Being honest, I would not be being an Aleph P right now if it were not for his boards. I don't see much difference between his boards and a group buy since he is not doing this as a commercial venture and not making a profit. Other than some component values I really do not see much difference between the Grey Rollins version of the Aleph X and Kristjan's Board.

Kristijan is selling his boards for a profit (~$50ea.). He currently is selling the Aleph-X board which its design in based on Nelson Pass and Pass Labs patented IP. Kristijan did not ask for or receive permission to use this IP in a product for sale.

Kristijan was asked to either remove the boards from his site or remove the link to his site from his profile. He chose to do neither and hasn't been back to the forum since (about 2 months).
Old 13th June 2004, 04:44 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Rodd,

I see your point about non-permission for the use of Pass Labs IP. He may charge for the boards but I don't think he makes any profit, but for the theft of IP I agree whole heartedly that is just not right. Mia Culpa.
Old 13th June 2004, 07:22 AM   #13
Coulomb is offline Coulomb  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roddyama

Kristijan is selling his boards for a profit (~$50ea.). He currently is selling the Aleph-X board which its design in based on Nelson Pass and Pass Labs patented IP. Kristijan did not ask for or receive permission to use this IP in a product for sale.

Kristijan was asked to either remove the boards from his site or remove the link to his site from his profile. He chose to do neither and hasn't been back to the forum since (about 2 months).

Has Pass Labs or Nelson Pass made any comment on this forum in regards to Kristijan's Aelph X boards?

Regards

Anthony
Old 13th June 2004, 08:37 AM   #14
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Coulomb
Has Pass Labs or Nelson Pass made any comment on this forum in regards to Kristijan's Aelph X boards?
A good general statement of intent from Nelson is here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...424#post392424
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 13th June 2004, 01:24 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

After reading Nelson Pass's statement again now I am really confused. On Kristjan's site it says "Professional made printed circuit boards are available for this amplifier at cost". I took the phrase "at cost" to mean no profit. Maybe I am wrong. Has anyone proved that Kristjan is making money on this. I am a firm believer in not abusing Nelson Pass's generosity. If he does indeed abuse Nelson Pass's policy I will look elsewhere when I look for PCB's. I am not one to bite the hand that feeds me.
Old 13th June 2004, 01:50 PM   #16
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Kilowattski:

If you take a look at the pricing at the different board houses you will see that 50 USD is a whole lot of money for a PCB of that size. If Kristijan dosnt make money on those boards he is getting cheated badly by the PCB house.

Magura
Old 13th June 2004, 01:59 PM   #17
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

LET ME RESTATE FOR THE RECORD ONE MORE TIME:

Coulomb,
you can buy whatever board you like, with the AlephX board that I gave to Chad and that was iteratively refined by the two of us for about a month, I made NO MONEY, ZERO money. I just got a bunch of super cool boards for real cheap. That was, and remains my idea behind the group buys.
In fact, I was the one that wrote up the first wiki sign up form for the first bulk purchase. If I was more ambitious I could claim I invented the bulk purchases on DIYAUDIO.com.

I insisted that Rodd do the first CARDAS purchase, he was very reluctant for fear of loosing money, the rest is history.
A lot has changed between then and now. My original idea with the bulk purchases was to give the audiophile their cake and allow them to eat it, too. Bottom line the thing was to be done at cost. Alot has changed since then and now I find myself to be in agreement with the mods for the WRONG reasons. The bulk purchases are now handled mostly by mods, and they are no longer at cost (see Rodd second Cardas purchase), and the proceedings are used to finance DIYAUDIO.com

I have never seen such veement display of disapproval of someone's practice by two mods like I am seeing here. My guess is that that the mods are ****ed because they are not getting a cut from Kristian. That's as simple as that.

For these reason looking at what PA did and what Kristian is doing I would be temped to say: Go Kris!!! But that would be disrispectful of Nelson Pass.
Old 13th June 2004, 02:02 PM   #18
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

grataku, I can assure you, the mods are ****ed because NELSON isn't getting a cut.
Old 13th June 2004, 02:13 PM   #19
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Good morning SY or should I say goodnight?
Have a good sleep or a good game of golf (whichever applies).

Such agreement between myself and the authorities is anheard of. Therefore I had to bring forth the most likely hypothesis.
Old 13th June 2004, 02:17 PM   #20
jam is offline jam  United States
diyAudio Member

SY,

What is going on with this moderator/comerce issue? It seems that we keep going around in circles...........Gratku raises some good points and this lack of direction will hurt the forum.

Regards,
Jam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bgr0153l.jpg (44.7 KB, 683 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!