Audio VU meter connected to speaker output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys,
If an audio power meter is connected in parallel with the speaker to the speaker output of the amp circuit, would the amp pull out with less power as compared with occasion that the meter is not connected?
I'm confused with the circuits on the web but I'm interested to add the meters to decorate the front panal. So I must be sure that adding the meter wouldn't affect the sound quality or the power output of the amp itself.

Thank you.

Nope, dead on. Basically you are dealing with "orders of magnitude" as EEs work with them. If you're concerned with 1% tolerance, then you just need the parallel resistance to be 100* your load. or 800 ohms. Some speakers rise to up to 30 ohms in their usable range, so to be safe, 30*100 = 3k, 5k is still plenty fine... if you're using 1% parts. Personally I use 5% parts so my tolerance levels are 5%.
--
Danny

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We are of course assuming that the meter is designed
to accept an AC input. Mechanically, meters are DC
creatures, so it requires some circuitry to drive them.

And of course, most VU meters are calibrated for
lower levels than the average speaker will see, so you
might want to consider some sort of voltage divider.

Another thing is, if the impedence peaks at about 100 - 200ohm at certain frequency(i think that is the internal crossover frequency), it is still no need to consider about the effect on the amp circuit with the presence of such VU meter with potential divider?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.