PCB for Aleph P 1.7 preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks GRollins,

I will try to use 2x23 V / 1000 VA transformer for Aleph 5, just to have one less think to worry about - transformer heat.

I will use one 35 A diode bridge and one 1000 VA transformer for two Aleph 5 channels.

Can diode bridge be mounted on the same heatsink as the FETs or it must have it's own heatsink ?

Maybe for BrianGT...

How did you decide which one to build of BoSoZ and P1.7? I like the simplicity of the BoSoZ but have not been able to find out (although searching thorugh threads) what people think about the BoSoZ compared to P1.7. Either one would suit me. Which one is "better" or are they not that different at all?

/UrSv

Hello,

I just come back from the PCB-DESIGN website
( http://web.vip.hr/pcb-design.vip ), and I must
say that I never seen the better layouts of the PCB's.

I tried to design some by myself, but I couldn't get them even close to the PCB-DESIGN state.
The person who designed them was probably survived a couple of lightning strikes to the head ! (joke)

However, I am very interested in the Aleph P 1.7 and Aleph 2 PCB's.
On the PCB-DESIGN website I saw that the prices for the more PCB's will be quite lower, so I would like to ask here before I order;

Does somebody plan to organize the bulk purchase for the
Aleph P 1.7 or for the Aleph 2 PCB's from the PCB-DESIGN ?

I would think twice before using PCB for Aleph P1.7. Comparing circuit that simple on PCB and done point to point is probably like comparing IC to a discreet circuit. It doesn't take much to do it p2p, and by saving money on PCB, you could buy better capacitors.;) It's not complete yet, but another 4 resistors and that's it.

Attachments

• p2p.jpg
    p2p.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,639
hi Dornier,

In the previous thread you wrote:

"The person who designed them was probably survived a couple of lightning strikes to the head !"

Well, I agree with you 100 % !!!

The PCBs really look very nice.
I am also interested in some PCBs from the PCB-DESIGN.
Also, I will be interested in bulk purchase of the PCBs, if someone will organize it in the very near future.

--------
Strobo

What is the answer to the good old "what transformer is required to supply the Aleph P1.7 (voltage and VA)" question? Since there is a regulator, I guess the range is not crittical. Plitron sells 60V transformers. Using two individual windings, one transformer could supply two channels... btw, is it required to use two regulators to drive the two channels or one single regulator will do the job as well?

If I want to add a VU-meter, can I simply pick up the signal thru a buffer (say AD's BUF03) and feed it to my VU-meter display? I want to be absolutely sure that the sound (signal path) will not be affected by that addition...

best regards,
Gabriel

One regulator will do the job but since they are so simple I strongly suggest separate for ea. channel. 60V is OK, the power of the transformer should be as reasonably high as possible for better sound. I would suggest at least 200W. While less power would do the job, bigger transformer will sound better.
Buffer for the meter sounds like a good idea.

Dual Split Bobbins

The link to my website below shows the dual split bobbin transformers I used in my BLS pre-amp.

Furthermore we did a sound off with the Naim 72 pre-amp WITH the "SuperCap" external power supply. To say the least, my friend is convinced on building the same pre-amp as mine but going external power supply.

SoZ Heatsinks (O/T)

Kristijan,

I've found those heatsinks about 18 months ago from one of the local scrap metal yards where I live. I'm still kicking myself for not taking the whole drum barrel full of them. Nevertheless, I continue to build up my own collection of heatsinks seeing how valuable they are for DIY audio.

If you take a closer look, they are IDENTICAL to the Plinius heatsinks. I suspect there is a local foundry in Christchurch that casts them for the Plinius factory way up north in Palmerston North.

BQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.