almost finished aleph3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
with the help of a few forum members (magura, mikeW, and alain), i am nearing completion on my aleph3. you can see specs and some other things in this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34222

here are some pics from my horrible digital camera (takes worse pictures than some camera phones!)

(they arent huge pictures, but it still might take a few seconds to load)

view from front. its got a faceplate, but no light or on/off switch yet. still deciding what to do about all that.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

a view of the back, i use the speaker posts on the far sides becuase these are monoblocks and i have short speaker cables. this helps me with better placement. it looks like the bolt of the xformer is touching the plate that the pcb is on, but its got about a 1/2" of clearance, its just the camera.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

here is what it looks like all closed up. the case if from par-metal, and is really great. its cheap, and looks very nice. however, like all metal, it scratches easily, and is very difficult to work with when drilling, etc...

hopefully i can get it all wired up within the next few days and then start on the other one!

PAR- METALS case

Is the case a series 20? I'm looking for a case for the MOX X-over. How thick of front panel did you order and what type of finish, painted black or black anodized.

Thats going to make a nice package. How much bias on the outputs?

BDP

Re: PAR- METALS case

it is the series 20 case. its a bit thin, but its still metal, and strong enough for all the stuff in it. the front panel is the 0.25" thick panel. its decent, i wanted the thicker, but it wasnt in stock, and i got these for cheap. they are black anodized. i almost wish i would have gone with painted, because the anodizing scratches very easy, so its hard to get a PERFECT finished amp if you have any work that needs to be done on it.

i think the bias is normal, it pulls a bit over 2 amps. it gets HOT.

BDP said:
Is the case a series 20? I'm looking for a case for the MOX X-over. How thick of front panel did you order and what type of finish, painted black or black anodized.

Thats going to make a nice package. How much bias on the outputs?

BDP

cowanrg said:
oh ok. thats odd. well, i decided against the copper sheets. the PCB im using works just fine, i just needed to solder it a little bit better than before. its a good joint now, i think.

As long as you got good connection between the PCB and the cap terminals, it should be just fine. The easy way to check if the joint is good or not is simply to check out if its getting hot.

Magura:)

Magura:

when i was soldering it was getting pretty hot at the PCB, so that should be good. sure enough though, at 2 points on the previous version, there were some black parts on the bottom, it had sparked and broken the bad solder joint.

JasonL:

yeah, i will test it out. Magura seems to think it will be perfecly fine, if not a little warm, but i might put in a small fan or two, running at half power.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.