Alpeh 5 pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I am helping my friend build an Aleph 5. I made some modifications to Brian Bell's Aleph PCB. I understand very little about making PCBs, but I figure that bigger traces must be better. However I read that to avoid crosstalk, the traces if they are close together should be curved. But since there is only one signal, would crosstalk be an issue? Here is the modded board (copper side).

Attachments

• aleph 5 copper 50 percent.gif
    aleph 5 copper 50 percent.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,184
One thing I see as a potential problem is the ground making a loop around the board. Brian's layout isolates the input ground from the power. connecting both to star ground independantly will reduce chance of noise injection from resistance between speaker ground to star ground.
Beefing up traces that carry high currents is a good thing. I laid 12 ga solid stripped wire over mine. I believe in making small signal traces that carry almost no current as small as possible, But I doubt that you can hear the difference. I also believe in making things as compact as possible. Shorter traces have less lenght to pick up "stuff". (this also appeals to my sence of thrift)
Other than ground issue, looks good. His layout works great, and you've done very little to really change it.

One thing that is bad are the sharp square corners. Rounded corners are also more structurally sound as well as less likely to pick up adhacent solder should that happen. But yes, I like the more copper aspect of it. Nicks board is an excellent design!!

Nick,
Could you please post your file on that so I could also use it??? Thanks!

Mark

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.