parallel the transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
billy,

>>can I parallel the transformers
>>save the capacitors & money

Explain with a little more details, parallel the primaries, the secondaries,
what is the power in VA of the transformers you want to use and how many?

Save the capacitors, I don't think so ; you need a certain minimal amount of these
to have a good power supply. :bawling:

Save money, well with a Class A, certainly not! :smash:

Regards.

Alain.

D3

Joined 2003
Traffo secondary .... paralleling

Hi ...... my traffo has two sets of 18v secondaries rated @18v 500va.......so in theory if I parallel.....I should get 18v 1000va......

Will this give hum ..... earth loop problems?????

Has anybody else come across/used this config.....

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Re: Re: parallel the transformers

K-amps,
In practice, matching secondary voltage on two different transformers almost isn't possible. Small difference (in apsolute values or phase) will result in huge current between secondaries (very small internal resistance).

Billy,
if you have two transformers with 2*18/500VA you can build two monoblocks or you can parallel them, but after bridges to get 2*18V/1000VA. You can't anyway saving money on caps.

Regards

Re: Re: Re: parallel the transformers

moamps said:
K-amps,
In practice, matching secondary voltage on two different transformers almost isn't possible. Small difference (in apsolute values or phase) will result in huge current between secondaries (very small internal resistance).

However, for some types of PCB mount transformers the
manufacturers actually specify that you can parallel windings.
Probably it is because they have a very low VA rating and
thus so many turns in the windings that the potential error
is negligible.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: parallel the transformers

Christer said:
However, for some types of PCB mount transformers the
manufacturers actually specify that you can parallel windings.
Hi,
Paralleling secondaries on one transformers is possible if they are biffilar wounded.
Probably it is because they have a very low VA rating and
thus so many turns in the windings that the potential error
is negligible. [/B]
Agreed.
Regards

Re: Traffo

D3 said:
Thanks Christer.........
Is it dangerous..............or will it destroy traffo to link up the secondaries before the rectifier???? Bearing in mind my traffo has two sets of 18v secondaries................all wound on same core.

I would think that if you measure the secondaries to make sure
there is at most a very small difference and then use a small
resistor in series with each secondary, then it will be OK. Wait
for someone else to confirm this before trying, though, I might
have overlooked something.

Traffo Q

Well my traffo is biffilar.............and I need 18-0-18 @ 1000va....
my Traffo is wired with two lots 18-0-18 500va secondaries.

I had assumed that they could be parralleled ...... to give 18-0-18 1000va........single to power a single rectifier and a simple crcrc power supply.

hope this clarifys things.........

What sort of size resistor would be needed...........and what sort of wattage????

Re: Traffo Q

D3 said:
I had assumed that they could be parralleled ...... to give 18-0-18 1000va........single to power a single rectifier and a simple crcrc power supply. [/B]

Hi,
here is my suggestion...

Regards

Attachments

• bridge1.jpg
    bridge1.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 315
Traffo

Hi Moamps.....many thanks for the posting.........I understand the layout.................I really want to avoid using two rectifiers...if possible.....if the secondaries were linked before the rectifier.....would this cause problems.....& risk.......what are the issues.......could they be joind via a resistor????

Your advice would very much be appreciated.....................

Re: Traffo

D3 said:
...I really want to avoid using two rectifiers...if possible...

Hi,
It is possible. Look picture below.
..if the secondaries were linked before the rectifier.....would this cause problems.....& risk.......what are the issues.......could they be joind via a resistor????

Sorry, I don't like this idea. This may be done in low current application, but not here in class A amps.IMO.

Regards

Attachments

• bridge2.jpg
    bridge2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 343
You're saying you have two sets of windings on a single transformer. Then I see no particular reason they couldn't be paralleled. However, I'm not sure that will help you as much as you hope.

Isn't it usually the whole transformer that's VA rated, rather than the individual secondaries? After all, the primary winding and the core doesn't really care how the load is distributed across the secondaries. They just see the current and flux.

Rune

Just connect the toroids in parallel and check.

Use a 500 watt bulb (or a large 25 ohm resistor) in series with the primaries. This will limit the current to the toroids, but pass enough to check for hum etc.

If everything is ok,repeat the prcess with to a 100 or 50 watt bulb and check for current draw.

If no current draw, connect the primaries directly to the 230v AC.

Now check for abnormal heating of the toroid or audible hum.

I have used this "crude" method in joining 800Va and 1000VA toroids in parallel with no ill-effects to make 1.6kva and 2.0kva PSU's.

The more you over analyze the more you confuse yourself.

Just remember one thing, Safety first!!

K-:eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.