Remedial Pearl Phono Questions - NOOB Alert

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I've spent the past few weeks trolling through the forums (esp. the Pass Labs forum), and I've decided to take the plunge and build a Pearls.

I've had little experience with EE, soldering things here and there, but never building circuits from scratch.

So, Karen sent me the PCBs and the Q-pack; I purchased the remaining parts; and all things considered, did a commendable job assembling the boards... and now I'm stuck with a few lingering questions.

I'm sure these will be of the remedial, EE 101 variety; but nonetheless, you all seem like a very tolerant and welcoming group and will perhaps humor my newbie quires.

My first question is regarding loading and the R1 value. I understand the concept of cartridge loading, but I want to be sure the Pearls will indeed require a resistor in the R1 spot (as opposed to it's "default" loading set by the by the 47K resistor in the R27 spot).

Second, are C14 and C16 required, or can they be omitted? Typically, I've seen MC's loaded @ 10,000 pF and MM loaded @ 220 pF. I they need to be included, what should their values be and why would I need two in a series?

Third - which kind of pertains to my 1st two questions - what exactly are the jumpers for? I'm assuming if I were to bypass R1, C14 and C16, I would connect the jumpers w/in each position... but I rather ask the question than guess and potentially screw up the work I've done.

Now, I'm currently using a .5mV MC cart; however, I'll most likely pick-up a MM or Moving Iron cart that will complement the Pearls. Once I get a better understanding for things, I may try to incorporate a head amp into the system to accommodate low output MC carts.

Again, I'm sure some of you my have a chuckle at my questions, but everyone’s gotta start somewhere ;)

Thanks in advance for any insight you may be able to lend!!!

Best,
Hat

Hello,

The input loading of 47k is a default for a MM type cartridge. If you were to use a M/C , you would add a 100 ohm resistor to the R1 spot. C14 and C16 can be omitted. If you are going to pick up a new cartridge, Waynes suggests a 2mV M/M is the best performer for the Pearl.

The jumpers connect the parts to the circuit, in case you change your mind about the cartridge later. (easy to eliminate, pull the jumpers)

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.