Singel Mosfet outputstage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Danish - GamuT Audio, former Sirius have been producing "High-end" amplifiers for more then 2 decades. And they have always been faithful to their special topology - single Mosfet output stage.

They are using industrial Mosfets. Could I use these Mosfet in a Pass amplifier with excellent result, and instead of more IRF Mosfets in parallel?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

From their web site:
http://www.gamutaudio.com/
This new technology offers two major advantages:

A smooth and detailed sound quality, which until now only was available in a few low powered class A power amplifiers.

Improved reliability, 4 parallel transistors gives 4 times higher chance of a breakdown, compared to 1 transistor.

Industrial 'bloc' transistors are made for switching, not linear use.

IR told me that they won't even be sure the individual die are from the same date lot, much less matching Vgs.

Semelab being lateral devices is not as bad, however, there are no individual gate stopper resistors and they may oscillate.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I bought a few of these, and as far as I can tell there
is OK internal matching, but only because the machines
that take the die from the wafer do so in a systematic pattern,
not through any effort on IR's part. This is the same phenomenon
that you see taking parts out of tubes, where you can
sequentially trace the location of the parts on a circular wafer
based on the matching and you get a sequence that vaguely
resembles the periodic table of the elements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.