zen v4 0.66v lol no way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
_ Does it oscillate, is the 1,6V plain DC or not?

- take away C6 or R16 and leave that connection open, report what happens now, voltage acrosse R0 ?

- Test if Q3 is damaged or soldered in reverse..

- nothing to lol about

- there is way, i know it.

by oscillate you mean weird sounds
no it dosent

plain dc theres about .40v or so of ac between r0

you are right there is nothing to lol about my amps nearly compleate apppart from this small problem
the other channel of the amp works fine and is running at about 1.5 amp which keeps those mosfets not so hot...

i disconected r16 voltage across r0 is now 3.20v dc more or less

i will post pictures very soon then youll have something to lol about

by the way nothing can be wrong blown i mean because the amp sounds fine it plays music ok without any strange sounds
just r0 has too many volts and will burn in flames if i leave it on for more than 10 seconds:hot: thats all

by oscillate you mean weird sounds

no i mean if the bias is stable plain DC or is there an higher frequency AC component. You will not hear but you should measure.

If you a) connected thinks right what you have to check as we can´t
b) Q3 is ok
c) there is no oscillations

ther should be about 0,7V between is base and emitter what is same as across R0.

you will have to replace it, and check if you made a mistake around it. And make sure to use it not reversed. There is the chance to see oscillation also with a) a DMM with frequency counter b) measuring at a place were you expect pure DC in AC mode of the DMM if it is RMS voltmeter and takes higher frequency also and not only 50Hz or so.

cheers
i replace q3 and i now have 0.7v across r0 it's a 0.5 ohm resistor which i think makes about 1.4 amp's

now i have another problem i dont think it's so bad

when i turn of the power the music stays on for 20 odd seconds (im only using 5000uf capacitors on the power supply)
q1 and q2 seem to be getting warm like they should q5 isnt but it would probably take a while for q5..

as well when i put my multimetre on where it says 42V in the schematic at the source of q5 the voltage takes 5 minuites to drain after iv'e turned the amp off.

or is this normal ?

How big are the resevoir capacitors in the power supply? And is there a path for them to discharge?

I've not built a Zen, but I do have a BoSoZ which continues to play music, gradually fading way after the mains are disconnected. I'd say it lasts a good 10 seconds.

Erik

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Rixsta said:
when i turn of the power the music stays on for 20 odd seconds (im only using 5000uf capacitors on the power supply)
q1 and q2 seem to be getting warm like they should q5 isnt but it would probably take a while for q5..

as well when i put my multimetre on where it says 42V in the schematic at the source of q5 the voltage takes 5 minuites to drain after iv'e turned the amp off.

or is this normal ?

It's normal. Q5 operates much cooler than 1 or 2. When you
turn the amp off, it will play for a little bit, then when the supply
gets down to about 22 volts, Q1 stops conducting, and the
voltage bleeds off slowly.

Rixsta said:
Thanks nelson btw this amp sounds amazing im a musician and realy dig it.. lol

when i turn it off i hear the sound for about 3 mins and it only plays the beats of the music like crackly beats....

I think you still have problem with the voltage regulator. Normally the voltage will pull down to the regulation value and stay there. Once the reg shuts off the amp should stop playing.
If the amp plays for 3 minutes the string of zeners is not setting the reg level. The distortion you hear is from the bias level set for the output. As the vol.tage drops it pulls it and is giving asymetrical clipping.

George

Panelhead said:

I think you still have problem with the voltage regulator. Normally the voltage will pull down to the regulation value and stay there. Once the reg shuts off the amp should stop playing.
If the amp plays for 3 minutes the string of zeners is not setting the reg level. The distortion you hear is from the bias level set for the output. As the vol.tage drops it pulls it and is giving asymetrical clipping.

George

George i have no zeners connected id better replace them with good ones and reconect them right ?
how do i find the exact voltage of a given zener ?

btw exelent discription of whats happening and you make it so i can understand it being only a begginer in electronics

till thanks tommorow i will compare channels

r16 is ok

now theres one last problem i can't figure out why one channel of this amp is 5 times loader than the other..
Could it be linked to the feedback circuit..?
both channels biased at about 1.5 amp

thats ok, you could simply stop the CD or turn off preamp to avoid it. Did you check both channels for same voltages at the gives measurement points?

yeah ill turn off my graphic eq first then the amp

im sorry to keep asking for help this will all stop soon.. soon i will be able to enjoy my amp and help other people out
ha ha yeah right.
(im not that clever, but i can make fairly decent music)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.