Modifing Aleph 5 power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have complete dual mono supply in my Aleph 5. One channel is consisted of one 350VA 2x28V toroid, 4 x 33000uf good quality BC comp caps and 2.2uf Solen bypass caps. I saw in some other DIY designs that people are using lower capacitance electrolytic cap at the end of the PS bridge. So I thought, that is probably for better filtering, but what are the other consequences of this? Will I get more dynamics or better bas if I put it like this:

rectifier br.---33000uf----33000uf----5000uf---PCB

for each channel's + and -. If it is better to use lower or higher capacitance at the end plase let me know.

Hi Boris!

If You use more cap's with lower values than you would probably have more speed and microdetails (if the cap's are good etc.).
If that would suit you in your amp you must see for yourself- faster response of the cap's might not be good for the sound that you have. And for one amp one thing might be good and another not- so everyone must try for yourself. It is more interesting that way :D
What you could try in your amp is to make some air inductors (the bigger the better) and put them inside Your power supply- that wouzld probably chenage the sound of your amp a little bit and increase the quality of filtration. But in your amp I don't know if you need better power supply- it is allready very, very good.
regards to all
daniel;)

p.s. You must try the thing with 5000uF for yourself, but for that you must cut you copper bussbars and connect them with some inductor or something that would not lower your filtrated voltage much and then ad that 5000uF at the end.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.